Overnight busses

Trip Start Jan 22, 2011
Trip End Feb 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
On the bus...arh

Flag of India  , Rajasthan,
Saturday, February 12, 2011

We woke at 7, and after breakie we set of on our last camel ride. It was very boring and we were all glad by the time we got to the meeting point.  Nothing but wind turbines and shrubs and not a sign of any dunes. Oh well this is India.  What more should I expect?  The start of the trip was awesome, but after the morning of the second day things went downhill fast.  No tip for the guides from me.  Nonetheless, it was an experience and I did meet some nice people.  

Well the jeep dropped me off at the fort around 10:30am and I quickly made my way through the crowds to collect my bag and get a vey much needed shower.  

The showers were located on the roof.  Everything is on the bloody roof in India.  And typical, there was a queue for the shower.  Two Koreans and two Chinese, so I sat down and waited.    I soon got talking to others waiting for the shower, the Koreans were very quiet, but the Chinese couple were full of conversation.  I finally got my turn to shower, but there wasn't anywhere to hang my things 멗 from an old nail that was barely hanging from the wall, so yep you guessed as soon as I put my clothes on it, it broke and everything got soaked! Well I guess they'll dry soon enough.  Once again i left my bag down in the travel agents office and took off for some lunch.  I was in desperate need for some meat, as we had been fed nothing but veggies for the 2.5 days.

Starving, I looked at the guide book and found two nice restaurants recommended, so I took a slow walk wandering through the bazaars of the fort, before getting to the restaurant.  I was now really hungry. Oh I forgot, on the way, I managed to book a sleeper bus to Jodhpur for later tonight which is about 5hrs south east. I tried a few travel agents before agreeing a price.  My first night bus in India, I hope it's not too bad! 

To my amazement i bumped into one of the girls who was on the tour with me. She was sat at the restaurant alone; so i sat down and joined her.  Surprisingly, she was also booked on the same bus as me for that night.  Which happens to leave at 10pm. Cool someone to talk to I thought.  Lunch was great, I ordered a tasty chicken Thali which is chicken curry, veg curry, fried rice, yoghurt, salad and a juice for about 150 rupees. Just over two pounds I think.  It was bloody good and I ended up ordering extra nan as they were superb.  We had a lot of time to kill so decided to go somewhere else for a cuppa tea (chai).  We slowly explored the fort again and found a really nice place with a great roof top restaurant.  It was a bit sunny so we sat in the shade and ordered a big pot of tea.  It was really nice just chatting while admiring the view.  

The girls name is Christine and she's from Vietnam, but she was raised in America.  She quite funny and doesn't seem to take any shit from the Indians.  She's been traveling alone for over a month in Rajasthan, and had some stories to tell.  Still aching from the camel safari, she went and got a massage, but I stayed and found a cute little veranda with comfortable cushions on (maharaja style) to relax and read.  I was very impressed with this place.  I was sat inside the fort on a small veranda which comes out from the fort and appears to hang from mid air.  It was perfect to pass away a few hours.  I felt like a million dollars sitting there, basking in the sun and enjoying my book.  Gonna have to do this more often I thought.  I stayed about 1hr 20 mins then got a rickshaw (tuk-tuk) to the guest house I stayed at before the safari.  I can get free wifi Internet there that's why I went back, it also has an awesome terrace.

 I stayed relaxing on the terrace for a good while then set off for dinner. I had arranged to meet Christine for dinner at 8pm, so took a tuk tuk to the Internet place.  It only took 5 mins haha.  Then I was told I had to pay for the wifi Internet.  I complained and said that I didn't have to pay before, buy the owner said no way, so I had to pay.  It was only 30rps for an hour so I can't complain.  The views from this terrace are so wonderful, I could also see right back into the fort I was just at, and as it was getting dark the lights were turned on so the fort was beautifully lit up and mysteriously glowed in the moonlight.  I stayed for a good hour and a half drinking chai and emailing, before heading off to the restaurant I had arranged with Christine.  

We met at 8pm and had a good feed.  In fact that was the biggest feed I've had in India and it cost a fortune, so I have to budget a bit better from now on I think.  Oh well, at least I'm not paying for a room tonight, as the bus is an all nighter and arrives early the next morning.  Christine was not going to spend a night in jodhpur, but wanted a place to leave her bags, so I said she could leave them at my place, and so she offered to pay half for a room once in jodhpur. I was cool with that.  

So bogged down with our heavy bags we made our way through the bazaars traffic to the bus station.  Now this was not any bus station, there were no ticket booths, busses, or even a stand we were literally outside a shop when suddenly this huge noisy bus came roaring around the corner and halted sharply in front of us.  We climbed aboard and asked a few people where our sleeper compartments were and were directed straight to the back.  

Now these busses were huge.  Here were regular seats on the lower part and immediately above them were the sleeper compartments.  They seem rather cool but mine was bit dirty.  Someone had obviously eaten dinner there before.  I threw my bags in and then squeezed in just as the bus noisily pulled out.  I could barely move in there.  I spent the next 15 mins trying to arrange everything so I could get comfortable.  I took me another ten mins to clean the compartment.  Very dirty!  I finally settled and prepared myself for a long and bumpy ride.  it soon began to get chilly in there so I pulled out my trusted air Asia blanket to wrap around me, but that was not enough. I soon noticed a horrible draft coming from the window which had crept open due to the endless bumps in the road.  I slammed in closed again, but it kept creeping open.  This was really annoying me know.  So I lay there wrapped up like a mummy physically holding the window shut whilst trying to get some sleep.  No!  That didn't work either, then I had the idea to use my duck tape to wedge in-between the two window pains.  Great!  But it didn't fit, so I pushed and squashed and eventually it was snug tight and the window was jammed closed.  I lay there expecting it to come open any minute, but thankfully it never did and I soon dozed off.  After that I actually slept rather well.  

I woke by hitting my head on the sealing as the driving ran through a huge rut in the road.  I'm a little surprised I slept through most of the bumps, because at some stages it was like riding a rollercoaster.  I could hear people scurrying around as it was almost 4:30 our expected arrival time.  I woke Christine up who said she had slept very well! Typical hey!  And we got off the bus. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: