To India finally

Trip Start Jan 22, 2011
Trip End Feb 24, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Smyle Inn, Delhi

Flag of India  ,
Monday, February 7, 2011

Today's the day I venture into India. Don't know how I feel about it at the moment, trying not to think about it.  Just wana get there and take one step at a time.  

It was bliss sleeping in this morning.  I think I managed until 8:15 or something.  We slowly got up and went down for breakfast.  No bacon and eggs, those days are over now!  Bring on the banana toasties Mmm.  I actually got through 6 slices of toast and two bananas.  Oh and two coffees.  Nice!  All while suk was thinking about changing her plans again... Oh no - she ultimately decided to go to the beach, having had the night to ponder on the idea.  I think it's best.  She can relax more there.  She quickly bought the tickets, while I tried to find somewhere nice for her to stay.  I ended up finding a cute peaceful B&B right on the beach front, so I gave them a call and booked her in for four nights.  However, they were full for tonight, so I had to find another place close by, just for tonight though.  Thankfully after a few phone calls she was booked in.  She was happy!  And so was I!  

We had a bit more time to catch up on emails before checking out at 12 and making our way once again to the now very familiar airport.  We could do it blind folded now I think.  Once there we got some food in as it was about 2pm now and I was starving.  Suk ordered some rice and chicken for us.  It was good!  We haven't had rice in so long.  We missed it in Oz.  Not surprisingly, I was still hungry after I polished off the chicken and rice, so ran over to maccies to get a burger!  Suk came with me to check in then we went over to get Suk checked in, too.  It took us a while to work out where to go.  It was very confusing. We later found out that is was because she had only booked a few hours ago.  We got there in the end.  

We then went to the book shop in hope of finding some nice books to relax to and read, but neither of us found anything worthwhile, so soon gave up.  Maybe I'll find something in India. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.  Not nice to do, but we’ll be fine!  I'm glad she has a nice room booked for her stay on the island.  Oh I forgot to say she's not going to Thailand.  She thought staying I'm Malaysia would be a better option, so she's heading to a nice island called Langkawi.  I hope she likes it.

Right then, boarding the plane was maybe a taste of things to come.  First we had some old woman collapse whilst walking to the plane, everyone rushed to help.  Then on the plane some Indian guy decided to throw his bag on another passenger that caused a huge scuffle.  Then during the flight I'm sure at one stage there were more people standing up than sitting,  also everyone had huge amounts of luggage, even when I checked in people were trying to get away with the biggest bags!  Insane!  Thankfully the plane wasn't full, so I guess they had the room.  So straight after takeoff I found 3 seats to myself.. Arh bliss! I sat right at the back and was very comfortable.  

About an hour outside of Delhi we were treated to a glorious sunset, and it seemed to last forever.  I arrived in Delhi a little earlier than scheduled and immediately got some money changed.  30 pounds got me 2000 rupees.  Couldn't tell you if that was good or not, I'll soon find out.  I easily found the taxi driver with my name on, but he asked me to wait as he was expecting another couple from the same flight.  That was fine, I was in no rush, so I went over and had a look in a few shops.  I received a text from suk and thankfully she had arrived in langkawi and found the hotel safely.  Good! 

About an hour later the other couple still had not shown up and I was getting annoyed.  Then suddenly they arrived!  What a joke!  Apparently they came through customs 15 minutes before me and couldn't see the taxi man with their name, so as the email said, they went outside and waited there.  However, having waited patiently for about 40 minutes, they tried to get back in to see if he was inside,  but the security wouldn't let them in. Eventually the woman was allowed in and found the taxi driver and then me.  She wasn't happy!  Ha-ha welcome to India.  

We got chatting and they seemed really nice.  They are Australian so I told them all about my trip.  Their names are Julie and Dave and I'd say they are in their early 50s.  We were squeezed into a small van and hit the road.  To my astonishment it had been raining and everywhere was flooded, oh no!  The weather report said clear blue skies.  Hmm.  We sped through the streets dodging and weaving our way through the traffic.  My first impression was it wasn't as crazy as I had expected!  But it was still bad.  There were people riding bikes and even walking on the highway, and I must have seen 6 or 7 cars broken down on the side of the road.  No one seems to drive in a straight line or use indicators. And with the rain it was pretty scary.  We eventually turned down a small street which was like the backpacker area.  A hole of an area, and very very dirty!  And the weather made it way worse.  There were several food stalls and small shop looking places, but many places were closed and boarded up.  Thank god I had met this Australian couple.  We were guided through several small alleys and eventually arrived at our guest house, and I wasn't impressed.  It was cold and wet and my room was a box and right in front of reception, so very noisy.  But It was clean I think.  Oh well I'm here now and it's only for one night.  

I smartly arranged to meet Julie and Dave for dinner. They were pretty shocked with the place as well.  Anyway we had to eat, so off we went into be dark gloomy alleys of Delhi. To our delight we stumbled upon what seemed a popular tourist place, we dived in and prepared ourselves.  Dave and I ordered a potato curry and some roti.  Julie wasn't quite ready to brave the food yet.  In fact in wasn't that bad, not as good as I expected but for 1 pound 50 what did I expect.  we continued to chat until 12:00 then ventured back to the guest house.  We arranged to meet for breakie, and see some sights together.

Once in my room, I got out my new sleeping sheet and used my blanket that I got from be airline to throw over the top.  There were blankets in the room, but I didn't trust them.  The bathroom was small, but I had a western toilet.  There was no shower, only a bucket.  So I decided to skip the shower and just go to bed!  I woke in the middle of night, cold, so had no choice but to throw the other blankets over me.  It was a noisy night, I wish I had bought some ear plugs.  I heard people checking in all throughout the night, random people talking and shouting, kids screaming, dogs barking and the odd rickshaw screaming down the narrow alleys.  Lovely!  

Oh well- at least you don't envy me for being In this place.  However, I'm sure tomorrow will be better! I hope...
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: