Trip Start Sep 13, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  ,
Sunday, October 5, 2008

Saturday we were planning on leaving at 22:00 for the bus stop so we could catch a 23:00 train to Hamburg.  We met in front of Boyan's like we had planned and were all on time, but it was at this time that Boyan remembered that we had already missed the last bus (I really need to get my hands on a bus schedule so I don't have to rely on other people and hope that they are right all the time!).  He offered to pay for our cab since he messed it up (we had all wanted to leave earlier) and we all agreed (it was a much longer walk to the train station than to Parkhaus).  We got to the train station, struggled through getting our tickets (we wanted to be able to just buy one ticket for both the ride to Hamburg and for the return trip, but the tickets end at 3:00 and we wouldn't be coming back until after that.  So we ended up buying a 35 and 28 Euro ticket for the eight of us due to another misunderstanding.)  Our train left at 2307 so we had a little time to chat in the station while we waited.  This trip consisted of Eric,
Mark, Bryan, Dustin, Alonzo, Boyan, Carolyn and I (Dan wasn't feeling well so he decided to stay home).  We found one other person at the station to go in on the ticket with us (they are 5 person tickets) so we were able to make up a little of the cost.  The ride went pretty well except for the dude that we got to ride with us kept randomly
blurting out "She take my money" from "Gold Digger" in the best attempt of English with an Ebonics twist.  We couldn't figure out if he thought that we all really liked that song since we were American or if he really liked that song...

The train station in Hamburg was nothing special.  It was big, but that was partly because it was linked to the Hamburg metro system.  We got off the train, found the right metro line and took a 15 minute ride to the Reeperbahn and the nice little district known as St. Pauli.  The first thing we saw was a strip club, the second was a strip bar, then a strip pub, followed by a strip get the picture.  We made our way through this area trying not to walk into oncoming traffic or trees since most of us were all in a bit of a shock with the variety of stores, shops, bars, and clubs that were surrounding us.  Boyan led us to the bar that he had been telling us about, Roschinsky's.  It was a smaller place that had a DJ, a bar, Foosball table, and some seating.  Not really any room to dance, but some people found a way.  I walked around the bar for a while, sat and watched the guys playing Foosball (they were really good!), and snacked on some free pretzel sticks.  I didn't order anything because what I can get for 45 cents a half liter in the stores was 2.30 a third liter here, and I don't have any problem not drinking in those kinds of environments so I didn't.  Eric and Carolyn danced for a while (they talked a bunch after Parkhaus and got things figured out...) but then she found some other dude and started dancing with him...and then started making out with him on the dance floor in front of our whole was a bit tacky to say the least.  This kind of angered Eric and Mark so those two, Alonzo, Dustin and I went to see what other bars there were nearby.  Nothing really looked any better to me, so I went back and hung out with Bryan and the people that he was talking to.

We were at Roschinsky's until about 1:30.  As we were leaving that bar we went to find Carolyn to tell her where we were going and that she should come with us, but she was too infatuated with her extremely intoxicated new boy to care and therefore insisted that we go on without her.  Most of the guys had no problem with this since they were already mad at her, but there were a few of us who were a little uncomfortable with this but didn't feel there was much we could do about it (none of us really know her that well to try and influence her decision making).  After this we walked through some more bar/club streets and arrived at a club called Gruenspan.  The place would have been really cool if it hadn't been full of older people.  The cover was 6 Euro and the bag check was another 1.  We moved through a sitting room, past the two bars and all gathered on the outside of the dance floor staring blankly at the assortment of 30 to 45 year old people out there.  Luckily, there were still a decent number of younger people off to the side and a few more showed up later in the evening.  Most of the time I stood at a cocktail table with Bryan chatting with him while he drank a few beers and people watched.  The music was fairly decent, probably not as good as Parkhaus but it's hard to compare since this was mostly rock music whereas Parkhaus was mostly electronica.  Boyan and Alonzo found a few older people to dance with that seemed friendly
but most of the other guys just made their way to the bar.  It started with just Eric and Mark ordering shots (Eric was drowning his sorrows and Mark was helping) but soon grew to involve Alonzo, Dustin, Bryan and myself.  They were mostly doing Jaggermeister and tequila, but a few times they got into the Baileys on the rocks, some whisky and a few beers of course.  I had two shots of Jag and a shot of Tequila with them (Alonzo bought one of the rounds, Mark the other and me, the third), but after that I called it quits.  I don't know how many any of
the other kids did, but I know that they had a lot.   Mark and Eric were definitely past number 13 and thankfully they were the worst of the group.  After this Bryan, Eric and Alonzo started talking to some girls that came in while the rest of them went to dance a little.  I basically just sat around and observed for the rest of the night (it was about 3:30 now).  Shortly after the conversation got started, Eric went with Mark and Dustin to the bathroom and they never came back.  We eventually discovered that while the other two were in the bathroom, Eric passed out on a couch in the sitting room.  They apparently tried to wake him up but couldn't at all so they decided to take him outside.  This didn't do much for them either, especially since once they were out, they couldn't get back in since they were all too intoxicated (this is why we couldn't find them).  After a while, Mark pleaded with the bouncer to let him in so he could get a message to us and the bouncer agreed.  It was still early and Bryan and Alonzo were not in the mood to leave yet so Boyan told us to stay where we were and he would take the other three to the train station and then come back for us.  On their way to the station they still couldn't get Eric to wake up so they basically just dragged him to the station.  When they got there they were stopped twice by the Hamburg police and told that they needed to make sure that he was on the next train out of there...they couldn't agree anymore.  Back at the club the girl that Bryan and occasionally I were talking with wanted to have a smoke in the smoking room.  We walked in and found Alonzo and the girl he was talking to sitting on a couch making out.  This caught them by surprise a bit so we all had a good laugh.  They smoked, we chatted and finally went out and danced a little as a bit group.  A little later Boyan came back and let us know that we were going to be leaving in about 10 minutes.  We all started saying goodbye, hit the bathroom for the last time and got our stuff from the coat check window. 

We walked quite quickly back to the station only stopping once to call Carolyn's phone, which she of course didn't answer (earlier in the night she texted Eric and told him not to worry about her tonight and that she would see him tomorrow).  We found Mark, Eric, and Dustin at the station sitting on a bench with Eric leaning over his knees
sleeping/passed out/drooling all over himself.  He moved around a couple time and then started to shiver (it was pretty chilly out and he just had a T-shirt on so I threw my coat over his shoulders (I stillhad my shirt and a sweatshirt on and was actually getting a little warm).   We waited there for about a half hour, bought two more tickets and pulled Eric onto the train.  The ride went fairly quickly, we chatted for a little bit, but then everyone pretty much just fell asleep (it was 6:15 when the train left Hamburg).   We got to Luebeck and the Sunday morning buses hadn't started running yet so we walked home (from a closer station so it only took about 10 minutes).  We got back to the dorms, I grabbed my water bottle out of Eric's room, took a shower and fell asleep at about 8:20 not to wake up again until about 16:00 (and not to get out of bed until 17:00), it was a nice sleep.

That may all sound a little messed up, but it really was a lot of fun and we all have fond memories (of what we all can remember).
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: