Trip Start Sep 13, 2008
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  ,
Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday day was a normal school day, we had a three hour lecture of control systems and an hour and a half of signal analysis (we're on the 90 minute period here...back to SSP!) both were professors that we haven't had/met yet.  We got done at 13:30 and I went home after that for a while.  Took a short nap, and tried to figure out what I wanted to eat for the weekend (had to plan a little bit ahead of time since stores were going to be closed both Friday for the German Unification Holiday and Sunday this weekend).  At about 1600 I went looking for the other people who were going to Hamburg and just tried to figure out what was going on with that.

At around 1830 Bryan got done with his classes (the MEs had to make up some class time since a few of their classes got cancelled earlier in the week) and we met up and decided that we were going to be cheap and easy tonight with dinner and just get some pizzas.  We left for ALDI and got a box of pizzas (three smaller pizzas in one box).  Got back and cooked up the first one.  While we were waiting we sat and chatted in the common room on his floor and watched some American/German music videos on MTV (the German MTV actually plays music videos).  We ate the first pizza, put in the second, I drank a beer (he wasn't hydrated after the last night of drinking so he didn't want to start quite yet) and he drank from his milk carton.  Then we ate the second pizza...and then the third.  I finished my .5 liter beer and he drank his whole liter of milk.  Needless to say, we were both really full.  After that we went down to the fourth floor of his building.  For the last few nights, that is where most of the partying has gone on, but neither of us had really been down there.  We got down there at about 2100 and just chatted while our stomachs settled.  After a while we had a shot of Sambuca with Mark and Eric (who were already a bit tipsy).  This shot was pretty cool: you dump the shot glass in your mouth, wipe your lips off, light the alcohol in your mouth on fire, let it burn for a bit making your mouth nice and warm, shut your mouth to extinguish the flames, and then swallow the shot.  It was really good and gave a neat sensation.

After a while we decided to play a drinking game outside.  I'll try and describe it here:  there are two teams of five standing in lines about 30 feet apart from each other.  The teams both look towards the center where a glass bottle is set up.  There is a full, opened bottle of beer sitting on the ground between each player's feet.  The game starts with one person on one team throwing a roll of toilet paper at the bottle in the middle trying to knock it down.  The rest of that person's team members are crouched down ready to grab their beers and drink them as fast as possible.  If the person who throws the toilet paper knocks the bottle down the other team members have until the other team runs out, sets the bottle up, grabs the toilet paper and gets every member back on the line to drink their beer as fast as possible.  After the first throw the roles reverse and the other team gets to throw.  The first team to finish all of their beers wins.  It was the rookies against the veterans, so Bryan, Alonzo, and I were on a team with an inexperienced German guy and an experienced German who was our "coach."  WE WON! And, I was the first one done with my beer...granted, I had a little in my nose, but I finished.  We only played one game and then went back into the dorm common room.  We just sat around and chatted while listening and singing some bilingual music.  We finally started getting ready for the club at 2245.  We went to the bus stop, and found out that we just missed the bus and the next one wouldn't get there for another 50 minutes. One of the Germans, Katrina, ordered us a cab.  I declined and started walking by myself.  It was a long walk, but it was a nice night and it wasn't even that chilly out.  It took me 45 minutes to get there and I found my group in a MONSTEROUS line (but they said that they had only gotten there 5 minutes before me, so I made good time with a mix of walking and jogging) outside of  a club called PARKHAUS.  The line was probably 10 people wide and wrapped all the way around the building.  Luckily, my group had already cut in the line in front of a bunch of people, so I didn't have to feel too badly about cutting along with them.  We stood in line and Alonzo bought us all a beer from the corner store nearby.

We waited in the line for about an hour.  The wait was fairly normal, I just chatted with Alonzo and Dustin while we pushed and got pushed towards the door.  The cover charge was 6 Euro.  A couple people around me got carded, but I didn't (which is a good thing since all I had on me was my school ID).  We got in and the club was as packed on the inside as the sidewalk was on the outside.  Dustin had to go to the bathroom so we waited around for him and then struggled our way through the upstairs of the club.  The upstairs was mostly lounge areas, a few big TVs, a coat check, bathrooms (with nudie posters up in them) and two bars (of course).  After seeing the upstairs we made our way to the basement where the music was blaring from.  There was a big dance floor, a DJ booth, a bar, a smoking room, and a smoker's dance floor and DJ.  Dustin and I pushed our way onto the dance floor and found Eric and Mark who were already dancing.  One of the girls we were with is named Carolyn.  Eric had been spending a lot of time with her lately so we all thought (including him) that they were going to dance together for a good chunk of the night, but by the time we got from the door to the dance floor, Carolyn was done dancing with him and he was just looking on astonished as she danced with some other guys.  Dustin and I didn't really know what to think about that so we just snuck off and started dancing with random small groups.  Most of the time, it was either two girls or two girls and a guy.  We would get a few songs in and then either the other people would leave or we would go find a different group.  We did this for the next two hours.  It was a lot of fun and by the time 3:00 rolled around I was super hot and sweaty.  I motioned to Dustin that I was leaving and to get some air, headed back upstairs and took a breather outside.  It was a really bad idea though because after about 5 minutes of being outside I was hit by a brick wall of sleepiness.  I shuffled my feet back inside, found the rest of the guys (Carolyn was nowhere to be found and Katrina was tucked away in a corner with Alonzo) and told them I was about ready to get out of there.  They were feeling the same way.  We left the club right about at 3:45 and started walking (it was still mostly nice out, only a little mist, and I wanted to retrace my steps because I was missing my brown knit hat).  We didn't make as good of time on the way home, but got back right around 4:30 (I found my hat on the way!).  We went our separate ways; I took a shower and fell asleep right away at about 5:00.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: