Mom, Movin', Maintaining & Most Miserable Traffic!

Trip Start Jan 01, 2008
Trip End Dec 31, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Georgia
Friday, March 28, 2008

  Mom arrived safely on Thursday, the 25th, from Ann Arbor - greeting me with a wavie of her hand and a loud "I made it!  AGAIN!" as she was wheeled off the plane at Tampa.  She quickly got back into her favorite role of teasing irritant to Greg - asking him, all the way back to Webster from the airport - "You came THIS far to get me?  Was it worth it?!"  Of course his response was that he didn't think so, but we'd put up with her for a couple of days, anyhow!  On Friday, he took her out on Pat's golf cart for a tour around the property, and she loved the big old Live Oak trees, draped with Spanish Moss, and enjoyed the sweet, sweet smell of the orange blossoms on Pat's trees.  We played a couple of Scrabble Games while Greg and Pat went out for a motorcycle ride, and then played a 3-way game with Pat - which Mom ALMOST won, until Pat scored a big one at the end, leaving Mom and me with 10 or 20 points in our trays to be deducted...Mom loved it, anyhow!
  We enjoyed having our "Last Supper" with Pat and Ruth Ann and Frank at the Harbor Lights restaurant, which serves a great buffet, and Mom put away more food than any little 5' (or less, now!) woman should be able to eat! 
   Today has been a long, long day.  We got all hooked up and left Pat's Place at around 9 this morning - promising we'd be back this direction next winter - we will miss her, it's been such fun spending time at Lone Cedar Ranch with her and the parade of family and friends who've come through - but, it's time for us to be movin' on, so, we headed out and north, expecting to get to Hilton Head Island for dinner with Cousins Janet and Bob by 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.
   But "Satellite Sally's" (our GPS) ETA was not to be - we stopped for lunch soon after getting into Georgia, and Greg went out for one of his usual "kick and inspect" walk-arounds - when he came back in, he announced that the left rear tire on the tow dolly (yes, the one we replaced after having had a blowout a year ago now!) had a big bulge in it, and we didn't dare go on with the car loaded.  So, after eating lunch, I searched online and on Sally, looking for any place that might have a replacement tire.  After calling about six different places, we finally found one, about two miles away, that had the right size tire in stock.  Greg unloaded the car, rather than leave weight on the dolly tire, and I followed him to the tire place in St. Mary's Georgia.  An hour and half and $108 later, we were on the road again, knowing that our dinner plans would be delayed, probably 'til around 6-ish, we thought.
   However,  we were extremely optimistic with that - as we are sitting in miserable traffic - Friday night rush hour compounded by construction and a freeway cut down to 2 lanes in each direction brought us pretty much to a screeching halt, and we're now hoping to get to the motorcoach resort before their 7:30 deadline (if we arrive after 7:30, we have to stay in an overflow/holding space, without hookups, even though we'd be paying for them for the night!  It's bound to be a late supper and a late night - and we've promised ourselves we won't travel on a Friday again!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: