More excitement on Day 3 on the road!

Trip Start Jan 01, 2008
Trip End Dec 31, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Texas
Tuesday, January 29, 2008

  Well, today's drive had a few more challenges attached!  We got started early - around 7:45, because we had almost 300 miles to cover, and when we reached Ft. Stockton, we had to disconnect the car, the moped and the tow dolly so that we could take the motorhome and the car over to a Texas State Inspection Station.  (Our last inspection, which is a requirement for any Texas-licensed vehicle driving in Texas, was in January of '06, when we first got on the road, and when we got our first Texas license plates).  We knew that the law requires that you have a current inspection sticker on the window within 3 days of arriving back in Texas, and since the fines can be hefty, we decided not to push our luck - and so we had a 3 p.m. appointment for the inspections on this, our first day back in Texas. 
   We knew that gusty winds were predicted, but they got very strong late morning, and as we drove through one area, the winds started buffeting the motorhome around a LOT, and as I looked in the side view mirror on my side, I saw our 17' long awning (which has an aluminum roller cover over it) start to blow open - up over the roof a little ways, and then it rolled shut.  As soon as it happened, Greg slowed down and tried to find a place to pull over safely, but by the time we found an exit with a wide enough shoulder, the awning had unrolled part way another 2 or 3 times.  The wind tried to take the door off when we opened it, too, but we managed to hold onto it.  Of course, when things like this happen - I panic and Greg remains calm, assessing the situation and coming up with a well-engineered solution!   This event was no exception, so while I held onto the ladder for dear life, Greg found a bungee cord which he attached to an eyelet that was sticking out from inside the rolled-up awning, and he pulled the cord down and hooked it at the bottom of the awning arm, which kept it from being able to unroll again, despite the terrible wind gusts that continued.  We only lost about twenty minutes, so we still made it Ft. Stockton in time to check into our campground, get everything unhooked, and get over to the Inspection Station in plenty of time for our appointment - and we passed the inspections with flying colors, so now we're set for at least anonther year.
   As (knock on wood!) has been the case with many of our little adventures - all's well that ends well! 
   One other good (?) thing that happened today - we bought diesel fuel for only(!!?)$3.08/gallon - probably the cheapest we'll find for a while.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: