SCUBA-duba And Horseback Riding

Trip Start Aug 01, 2013
Trip End Aug 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nicaragua  , Rivas,
Wednesday, August 7, 2013

We got an early start this morning, filling up with a hearty island breakfast and heading to Dolphin Dive. We had to hike to the other side of the island (which took us all of about 15 minutes). There we met our dive master, Brendon, a gringo from Minnesota who had had enough of corporate America and up and moved to Little Corn Island. He asked us where we wanted to dive, with one of the options being Stanley Reef. Obviously, that's the one we chose. We geared up and headed out, being the only ones on the dive. We were restricted to doing the "Discover Scuba" dive since both of us forgot our dive certification cards. So our dive started out with some "practice" in the shallow water just off the beach. Once we proved that we knew what we were doing, we boarded our panga and headed for Stanley Reef. 

The water was super clear and visibility was great. The dive was 40 feet and Aly did awesome (Chris did great as usual). It was awesome being under water in the peacefulness of the reef. We saw a yellow manta ray, a HUGE green moray eel, and lots of bright fish. Not quite as exciting as the sharks the day before, but still a morning well spent. Unfortunately we have no pics or video from underwater because cameras are not allowed on "Discover Scuba" dives. They feel that you are not proficient enough at this level to work the gear AND a camera. L.A.M.E.

After we finished up, we grabbed a pizza at a local joint next door called Mango's Pizza, that had fresh pineapple and pepperoni, along with some fresh fruit juice to refuel. This place was literally a tiny single room "convenient store" that also made pizza. We don't know where they made the pizza but there was a shack behind the store that looked probable. Whatever...we were starving and Brendon highly recommended it. We sat at a table right on top of a cliff overlooking the beach where we had just been. It was super cool and very relaxing.  After we stuffed ourselves, we hiked back to our side of the island to catch some sun and chill out for a bit before our next excursion...horseback riding.

4 pm came around and "Henry," another islander, met us on the beach in front of LCBB with 4 horses for a sunset horseback ride around the island with Toby and Rachel. We got to see even more of the island that we hadn't covered before, and many children and dogs came racing out to see us go by.  All day Rachel had been talking about how excited she was to "run" her horse. So it wasn't long before Rachel let her young horse start running. Interesting point, when one horse starts running, the others want to run too. So as Rachel's horse set the pace, we managed to control ours (for the most part). We had a couple of close calls and poor Toby actually ended up falling off. At the first mention of horseback riding, Toby was apprehensive and concerned about falling off. Not the best experience for him. We felt obligated to teach him the phrase "Get back on the horse" and so he did. 

We rode back to the lookout tower that gave the 360 degree view and saw the island at sunset. It was a bit cloudy, but still a beautiful night. We made it safely back to the bungalows just as the last bit of light was fading. We were all elated from the ride but hungry. Again we ate at the Turned Turtle restaurant and Toby and Rachel treated us to an amazing lobster Béarnaise dinner (special of the night at LCBB) for letting them stay with us for the last night. We stuffed ourselves, reminisced and laughed about the day, and talked of our cultural differences and similarities. Rachel and Toby were really great to hang out with and talk to. I really hope we get to see them again.

On this particular night there was a island wide bonfire on the other side of the island. Apparently it happens every week. It was our last night on the island so of course we were going to take advantage of the local shenanigans. Max, our favorite waiter at the Turned Turtle, led us across the island to Tranquilo (a restaurant/bar on the other side of the island). We taught our Swiss friends the electric slide and a handful more Europeans joined in, excited to learn the Texas line dance. It was pitch black walking back to LCBB and luckily we had a flash light. We packed up our bags and got a few hours of sleep before having to leave at 5:45 am the next morning to make our way to San Juan del Sur and SURFING! Little Corn Island was by far one of the coolest places either of us had ever been. It will always be a very special place to us and we hope to get to visit there again.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: