The Big Banana

Trip Start May 15, 2010
Trip End Jun 05, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Tuesday, May 25, 2010

We arrived at Coffs Harbour late evening around 8pm, after a short 400m walk to the Coffs Harbor YHA, we dropped off our backpacks and turned around to go get some dinner; however most of the jetty area at Coffs had shut down for the day. The restaurants along Harbor drive were taking their last orders, or already shut. The Jetty area was quite so nothing much could be done on our first day in town.

Next morning, we had a nice breakfast at Foreshores Café along Harbor Drive. We then thought of walking upto Pet Porpoise pool, located not too far. We were put off by the high ticket price for entry for what seemed like a small backyard in Australian terms. Then we decided to walk along to Park Beach. At Surf club we had a nice chat with the life savers on duty. We thought we'd make a trip along to the Marina and maybe even climb Mutton Bird Island. When we got to the end of Marina drive - we noted Mutton Bord Island was closed off for research purposes, we then made our way to Fisherman's Co-Op Fish Market at the Marina. There we enjoyed a Fish n' Chips Lunch. We then walked over to the Historic Jetty and spent some time there absorbing the scenery.

It getting closer to our expected departure time, so we headed to the YHA, collected our backpacks and made it to the railway station. We were informed that the our train was getting delayed, since somewhere around Taree the train had run over some cattle and the police were conducting investigations - due to this reason all trains have been halted in both directions. since we expected a delay of no more than 3 hours, we went back Fisherman's co-op for some dinner, after dinner we saw some fishing boats offloading the days catch into containers.

On a friendly discussion with a local, we mentioned that we still haven't' seen the Big Banana at Coffs, Philip (our host), kindly offered to drive us around town and also to show us the Big Banana along Pacific HW which can only be accessed if you are driving ~2 km north of town. Then he drove us through the small town of Coffs Harbor and dropped us back at the Jetty. After being told by the Station master that there won't be any train until the next day, we were forced to extend our stay in Coffs by one more day.

Next morning, we again had nice breakfast at Foreshores Café, afterward we were waiting at the bus stop to take a bus into Coffs town center. A kind gentleman just walked up to us and said "You folks seem to be from out of town, if you want a lift - I can drop you off in town" we accepted his offer and we were in town in no-time. We walked to Market st and discovered an Indian Turban wearing gentleman selling Indian food. We had a Samosa and Dhall, after which we went to the grocery to grab some items to eat on the train.

We headed back to the YHA, picked up our backpacks and was back at the station for our next train to Byron Bay.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: