The End of the Beginning (of the Adventure)

Trip Start Oct 05, 2008
Trip End Oct 17, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Pennsylvania
Saturday, October 18, 2008

Well we made it back to the States late last night (Friday).  We ended our journey in Krakow as you know.  Our last day and half there was outstanding.  I ended the last blog before our dinner that evening at the Wentzl Hotel.  Unbelievable food/wine/service/ambience.  We had a great time .  Our room was over the city center.  Minor point, the bells ring every hour in the main church and then an actual bugler plays a short song after the bells toll to remember a person who warned the city of an invasion only to be shot with an arrow while playing.  So they cut the song off to make it imitate what happened.  WELL - they do that every hour ALL through the night!  

On Thursday the weather was again nice.  About 65F and partly cloudy.  We had a wonderful breakfast at the Hotel and then ventured out and bought some souvenirs  and visited the inside of the church where those buglers play every hour on the hour - nice place .  Afterwards we walked about two blocks beyond our hotel to find the abbey where Pope John Paul II was an archbishop and also where he stayed when he came back to his hometown of Krakow .  We also saw the house where he lived for about 15 yrs. during WWII.  The castle was outstanding and we had another great meal to finish off the day .  It rained very heavy late that night but was nice to hear from our window .  Some late night packing was in order and we just got under the maximum weight limit. 

Friday morning we were up at 5 AM and had our taxi ride to the Krakow airport - the calmest ride of our trip!  The driver was very easygoing .  From their we flew into Paris, Charles DeGaulle.  We landed at 10AM and it took us two hours to go from one terminal to the other, AT LEAST 5-6 security checks, two tram rides, etc .  We finally got our seat assignments and (gulp) they were the two middle seats on the plane (of a four seat row).  We still don't know how that happened.  To add salt to the wound Kelly got nailed right at boarding the plane for the random passenger full baggage check.  Ha ha (now).  She had to empty almost all of her contents before boarding.  The flight home was not very comfortable at all.  I tried my best French with the flight attendant who assured me she would help us get better seats only to have two latecomers grab the seats we were supposed to get.  More salt...  Then Kelly's hotflashes came on towards the end, then a delay landing due to weather in Atlanta.  10.5 hrs later we were down - YES !  We got into Pittsburgh around 10:30 last night and John picked us up at the airport (thanks!) .  After being up for 24 hrs., unpacking, and taking a much needed shower we finally got to bed. 

This morning (Saturday) we opened up our wedding gifts (we love crockpots! ) and took in the wonderful weather here .  Fall is fantastic.  So the honeymoon adventure is now complete.  We had a great time, no real issues at all, saw lots of great places, ate/drank great food/wine/beer, and met lots of nice people along the way.  We have memories that will last a lifetime.  Now the adventure of life begins for me and Kelly.  This is something we look forward to starting together! 

Au Revoir!
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: