Part I: Monterey

Trip Start Jul 08, 2010
Trip End Aug 17, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
My Sister's house

Flag of United States  , California
Thursday, July 8, 2010

Arrived in San Fracisco on the 8th, just to have some time there for myself. The following day I took the bus to Monterey. (More on San Francisco & Monterey on other blogs.) My sister & her husband met me there. We boarded a boat of a friend of the family, at Fisherman's Wharf, along with my mother & a few of my step-father's college friends. We rode out to the middle of Monterey Bay, broke out the wine, & toasted my step-father. My sister was suppose to pour out the ashes but couldn't bear to. She had put all this together but couldn't hold herself together. I hadn't seen her cry in decades. It was a very painful moment for us all. So my brother-in-law poured out half the ashes into Monterey Bay. Everyone on the boat held a flower & tossed it overboard after him. 

(The other half of the ashes will be poured out, the following month, into the American River, near my step-father's cabin, where he loved to spend his summers.) 

After that, we all went to dinner at my step-father's favourite Italian restaurant in Carmel-by-the-Sea.  The next day, we held a memorial for him at his favourite bar, near the Monterey Airport. The owner, a good friend, separated part of the bar for this occasion & spread out a feast. My step-father's regular chair at the bar was decked with his Giants jacket & other baseball momentos. People poured in; family members, old childhood friends, college friends, fellow lawyers, & charity organizations my step-father supported; & my mother greeted them all. My brother-in-law emceed the eulogies. He spoke of his own experienced with my step-father. My step-father's nephew spoke & broke down before he could finish. A Catholic priest who knew him in high school, a few of is buddies from college, his former partners in his law firm, & former co-workers in a charity which protects abused children, all spoke many praises & recounted many fond memories. Everyone had an abundance of good things to say about him. In all, over 100 people came from different parts of the world to say good-bye to a very good friend & a very good man.

The next day I had some time to myself to go around Monterey & Pacific Grove, taking a lot of pictures. (I'll post them in another blog.) That evening, my family took me to a Vietnamese restaurant, where my mother gave me an early birthday present; a set of historical books on Monterey, Carmel, & Big Sur. (She knows I like history books.) We made arrangements to meet in San Francisco in August, then go to Kyburz to pour out the other half of my step-father's ashes.

I was back in SanFran on the 12th then Seattle the next day.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: