Life stories Covered on 6 hour Road trip

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Sunday, April 24, 2011

We woke to very heavy jungle rain. The volume of water falling was extreme and it sent the creatures of the forest loopy.  Some squirrels chased each other form tree to tree and you could hear other animals calling and rushing around.  With the rains passed we decided to enjoy the morning at the wonderfully tranquil Padanakan Dii Lodge.  Pols and I used the time to enter the lottery for London Olympic tickets, fingers crossed we will get a visit to The Olympic Stadium next summer.

After thanking our superb hosts we piled back into the Kancil 500cc for the drive back to KK.  On the road we bounced back through the potholes to Kinabalu National Park.  With lunch calling we made the strange decision to return to the very dodgy restaurant which had fed us on the way out (there were few alternatives).  More experienced we ordered fried rice and fresh roti bread, avoiding the cold pots of various animal parts.  It was a much more satisfactory pit stop.

The 5 hour drive provided us with a great opportunity to talk.  The four of us spend a good deal of time together back home but I am struggling to remember an occasion where we covered such a breadth of topics.  We talked about everything in our lives so far, from school to our degree choices and alternative career options (Charlotte – Navy/Vet, Giles – Fighter pilot, Polly – interior designer, Me – Doctor!!). The funniest point in this conversation being when Giles was unable to recall what he studied for his A-levels.  His inability to name three subjects which he studied for two years probably says a lot about how focused he was at this time in his life.

Another stop at a cake and coffee café was probably unnecessary.  After a slab of chocolate marshmallow cake it was a struggle to waddle back to the car for the final hour or so into KK.  On arrival we decided not to head into the stinky city centre but instead found a good hotel attached to the Borneo 1 Hypermall.  It was completely westernised but we decided with a few nights in the jungle ahead of us we should make the most of the home comforts on offer.

Checked in with television and hot shower we ate supper in the roof bar.  Unfortunately Char missed out, her stomach not feeling great.  Off to the airport again in the morning, should get off to bed now.

Miles Cycled: 0, back in the fun wagon for another 200 mile drive
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: