Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Rainforest Lodge

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Today was all about making it to the airport in time. It was cheaper to fly out of Johor Bahru in Malaysia so we faced the added confusion of a land border crossing before even getting to the airport. Having been absolutely savaged in the night, Polly worked out that her bed at Sleepy Sam's had the dreaded bed bugs. She’d spent the last two days wondering why she was getting so many mosquito bites when she couldn’t see any without working it out – gutted. We have had not a case of this since Bulgaria and it reminded us of the pain they cause. Poor Polly Poo.

The morning saw us running around Chinatown bargaining hard for a new camera.  It was a success and we picked up a nice bright green equivalent of our shock/waterproof model that we had before.  A drink before the rains came and then a mad dash for a taxi back to Sleepy Sams.  We checked out form there and waited for the rain to relent before we set out for the airport.  It did not happen so we grabbed a cab which delivered us to the cover of the tube.

A tube ride, bus journey, hop off through immigration, hop back on the bus, lunch in a maze like mall and a taxi ride delivered us in good time to the JB airport back in Malaysia.  We had no problems at the airport (well, I did leave my boarding pass the wrong side of security) and waited for our delayed flight to Kota Kinabalu, Borneo.

The Air Asia flight was nuts.  Half way through the flight the air steward got on the microphone and started playing 'fun’ games.  It was birthday time and after several blasts of ‘Happy Birthday’ in English and then Chinese, our patience was really running out.  You don’t get this hullabaloo on British Airways.

Rattled by our Air Asia experience we went through the arrivals process to find ourselves back in a cab.  The lovely man dropped us in backpacker central where the ridiculous noise continued. Borneo’s version of Jason and Kylie were hammering out cheesy classics, allowing us no time to gather our thoughts.  Maybe that’s why we checked into The Rainforest Lodge.  It did turn out to be quite like a rainforest in the sense that we spotted cockroaches and mice in the restaurant.  The shared toilets bought memories of India flooding back.  Oh well, if we make it through another night the 2nd night is half price, I don’t think many people take then up on this offer!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: