Bike Packing, Night Safari and Thali's

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sleepy Sam's Bed and Breakfast

Flag of Singapore  ,
Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Giles snoring could not overpower the absolute exhaustion of cycling so many miles in the last few days and we slept very well in this excellent boutique hostel. We enjoyed breakfast on the beautiful Bussorah Street.  It was so peaceful with the Sultan Mosque as its focal point, a perfect setting for starting the day.  The sun was out and really throwing all it has at us.  Sweating our way through breakfast we returned to the cool dorm to make a plan.  Giles and Charlotte were in the sightseeing mood and ventured out to The Botanical Gardens.  Pols and I had more mundane matters to attend to.  It was hot and dirty work but we deconstructed the bikes (except for a pedal which won't come off) and prepared them in boxes for the flight to New Zealand.  It is apparently very tight getting into NZ, following the foot and mouth outbreak everything has to be spotless.  This does not fit in with the condition of our bikes and bags after months on the road through Asia, so it took some real scrubbing to make them look half clean. In the end Pols snuck them piece by piece into the power shower.

We all met up for a late lunch of Falafal, Tabouleh and pide.  Giles had to wait 1 hour for his Turkish Pizza which he was less than pleased about.  The long lunch had only extended the ridiculous packing procedure Polly and Charlotte had embarked upon, but they stuck to their guns and eventually cleared the entire hostel floor of the debris which they had earlier scattered.

The evening was great, a quick drink and a trip out to Singapore Zoo for more Night Safari action. It was a long way out of town on the tube and bus but well worth the effort.  A stunning tourist attraction kicked off with a fire show from men dressed in skimpy animal fur G-strings (it was more family friendly than I made that sound).  We then boarded the safari tram to pass through stunningly landscaped habitats where the animals were so close to you.  My first photo flashed, lighting up the whole tram which was very embarrassing as the lady on the microphone told me off.  We agreed that the animals were either all chained up or drugged as they were all posing perfectly as the tram passed.  Actually it was just the clever positioning of food which had drawn them out of the jungle for us all to marvel at.  Lions, tigers, anteaters, giraffes, rhinos, they had the works and it was a wonderful ride.

We took a taxi back to town and ended up in Little India where we found a great restaurant.  The hospitality bought memories of our ride from Kerala to Mumbai flooding back.  The chirpy chappy from Delhi served up a mean Thali.  It really is the way to eat.  We strolled back to the hostel to try and work off the Indian feast we had just enjoyed and crashed out after a great day in Singapore.  Oh yes, and Giles has just started snoring again, this time making a strange pig like noise.

Miles Cycled: 0, and no more for two weeks
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: