Singapore Marks End of a 5500 mile Asia Ride

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sleepy Sam's Bed and Breakfast

Flag of Singapore  ,
Monday, April 18, 2011

Today was all about the final dash for Singapore. We had really left ourselves too much to do but having conquered 120 miles yesterday we knew that it could be done.  With Giles and Char waiting to greet us we were pumped up and on the road early again.

The Landmark Hotel was a winner.  The amazing breakfast set us up well and we were off, unfortunately in the drizzle.  Today represented the end of our Asian adventure.  Remarkably we landed on this great continent 5 months ago.  We have come a long way since landing in Trivandrum, South India.  5500 miles (9000 km) cycled in fact.  Looking back on the uninterrupted cycle from Chengdu in China down to Singapore and we felt pretty pleased with our efforts. 

We had plenty of time today for reflection.  We cycled from 8am all the way through until 6pm.  Another 100 mile day.  It was hot again and the rolling hills were enough to test the sore leg muscles.  The road was too tight in some places for comfort and big trucks kept us alert.  We spent the last part of Malaysia passing through a very conservative Muslim area.  Polly's tight cycling shorts and vest was maybe not appropriate but we were too hot and tired today to be culturally sensitive.  It did not seem a problem for many of the lovely ladies we met along the way.  One of our friendly Malaysians served up a wonderful beef curry for lunch and sensational apple drinks.  We don’t know how she made said drinks but after disappearing with an apple she returned with a  bright green icy treat.  Most refreshing.

We counted down the final miles in Malaysia, a country that has been wonderful to visit.  Aside from KL it has not really had much to offer relative to the other countries we have visited but the people have been more than a match, so warm and welcoming.  We arrived in the border town of Johor Bahru and could see the causeway that would deliver us to Singapore.  Unfortunately we could not work out how to get on the causeway.  In the end we doubled back a couple of miles (just what you need after 85 already cycled) and filtered into a motorbike lane to pass through immigration and customs. There were 'no cycling’ signs everywhere but I think the lady in the booth thought we were on motorbikes as we drew up and removed our helmets.  She stamped passports and we were off to the Singapore side.  We then caused a big hold up by filling out arrival forms before passing through customs were Polly felt the need to declare chewing gum.  The sweet officer advised her that it is not really allowed in Singapore but he would turn a blind eye!

Through another border crossing we joined a very fast expressway which would take us right into the city centre.  It was not a good plan, having to cross 5 lane slipways to get into the right lane was silly so after 5km sweating we left it to find ourselves in the green and spotless suburbs.  We were much further out than I had estimated and it was another hour of cycling though Singapore’s streets before we pulled into the hostel road in Little India.  There was Charlotte, camera at the ready (she was actually too slow and missed the arrival shot!).  Giles was too busy sitting down in the shade to clap us in so we pushed the bikes down to find him happily set up with a Tiger beer outside Sleepy Sams Hostel.  You know what happened next, we all hugged and went on about how amazing it is to see each other and then caught up on 7 months worth of gossip from Bosham.  The videos of Olaf were brilliant entertainment. All tucked up in our bunk beds by 11pm, it was not long before 2 very weary cyclists and their best buddies from home were all fast asleep (I wonder how the other guests are going to cope with Giles’ ridiculous snoring?)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


triciagick on

Delighted to see you all together and know you are having the best time in Borneo. Dads and I have just had our 'hot cross bun' breakfast in the garden - so warm. I insisted that Dan took one on his way into work - he is driving a pimped out Mercedes Landrover - black with leather seats, Got it for a song as it does zilch miles to the gallon - great for posing though.
We took Alice over to Ryde sands on Tuesday and scared the locals on the crowded beach as we just kept on going up the sands. With Jocelyn,s two boyfriends,Geoff and Reg - the whole boat was antifouled and painted and Dads was chuffed to bits. I helmed her back to Gunwharf at 1.00 am with a late rising moon making a lovely silvery path behind us. Brilliant xxxxx

triciagick on

That should read -' with Jocelyn's two boyfriends AND Geoff and Reg' ! X

Jojo on

You two are quite something else!!!! What a marathon journey but all well worth while having met up with Charlotte and Giles. The snoring may be a problem though - he obviously takes after Adrian who I can remember kept us awake on IoW even though he was in a separate boat! Weather here quite georgeous and i'm praying it will hold out for tomorrow for out 30 lunch guests - why I always have to go for the maximum possible i have no idea - but better get busy cooking.

mum and dad on

Wow really amazing.Hope you have a wonderful time with Giles and Charlotte.Didn't Tom do well-just loved that pool.Will speak very soonLove to you all .Oh and HAPPY EASTERxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Foos on

Hi guys! Just had a marathon catch up session of your amazing blogs; the sections with Tommy made me laugh out loud, he was fantastic morale for you! The Mandarin Oriental looked fabulous, a very well deserved treat for you. I do hope you are enjoying Singapore and having a good catch up on all the gossip with Giles and Charlotte. I simply cannot believe how far you have cycled in Asia alone-what an achievement!

Ian and I have just returned from a week in Cyprus where we rented a beautiful apartment with a massive terrace (perfect for breakfast in the sun we discovered) and explored the area in our little red hire car. The weather was mostly good-a few dull days but I absolutetly made the most of tanning opportunities when they arose, only to return to the UK last night to discover it's been glorious weather here all week-typical! We had a really good time though, lots of exploring, eating in little local tavernas and catching up on a long list of books to be read! We went to Nicosia (the capital of Cyprus) one day and crossed the border into North Cyprus which is under Turkish control for lunch-very interesting but quite bizarre. Our apartment was actually in the UN buffer zone! On a less cultural note we spent Ian's birthday at a waterpark just outside Aiya Napa-really fun but I did scare myself witless!

I am now very excited to have 10 days at home, yay! I managed to get an extended Easter leave so I can actually enjoy my flat for more than 2 nights which is the usual, and I am planning on spending some quality time with my bearcat (and see friends of course-Clarey and I are planning on going for a picnic tomorrow!)

Lots of love to you both and best of luck for the next leg of your trip. Happy Easter! Foos xxx

` on

You did it ! You've all met up after such an epic trip ( this is Polly and Mikey - not C & G who undoubtedly had an epic journey, but perhaps travelling via jumbo jet is slightly less epic - but what do I know). Just love the blog still and am thrilled that Adrian's snoring prowess is now globally known! Tom and nat came for supper last night, so we were able to show off kitchen and talk wedding. And had such a lovely day today. Warm and sunny and perfect breeze for our first race of the season. And we did quite weel despite having to find a harbour mark that I'd never heard of. And a wonderful de brief on the terrace afterwards with the last hour spent sitting with Amanda Mae, Dom, Thea, Rebecca, George, Elizabeth and Olaf - who wanted to be kissed a lot! Yummy. We missed you all. Am looking forward to a lovely day tomorrow. Keep the photos coming. Much love to you all. xxxxxxxxxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: