Rescue Missions and Crocodiles

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Vietnam  , Kon Tum,
Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It was obvious from looking at the white caps on the sea during breakfast that we were in luck for wind today. We split up and headed straight to our respective schools, really excited about getting on the water. Mikey and I gave up on the Russian bikini babes yesterday as they only had two instructors who spoke proper English. We instead went for C2Sky who were more expensive, but definitely more professional and run by an English guy. Mikey's Vietnamese instructor Duong was really keen to help him finally master standing up on the board and definitely showed no signs of being someone who would shout at him! More importantly, my Dutch instructor Wiep had the most amazing six pack. (Mikey wanted to stroke it, but fortunately managed to restrain himself.)

It was a great day. Unlike the previous day, there was really heavy wind and Mikey spent a couple of hours practising in the water, standing up for short periods. I spent a LOT of time going through all of the safety procedures involved in getting back to shore with your kite if something goes wrong and losing the kite completely if something goes really wrong. At the time, I thought it was a bit boring but as will become clear it was essential!!

Once I was kitted out with the smallest kite possible (for heavy winds) I practised flying it on land, which was fortunately much easier than the training kite and then we headed into the water. Body dragging was great and I was just getting into practising power strokes (where you dip the kite down and up) when I crashed it. Unlike the previous times I'd done this, it wouldn’t go back up and Wiep realised that a line had broken – Self rescue time. We started to wind in the lines when something else went wrong and the kite spun into the air dragging me along behind it. It kept spinning up and down and out of control dragging me along and in and out of the water. This was the time to ditch it altogether, but unfortunately Wiep had forgotton to tell me one essential fact – how to release my leash. After a while of being dragged along, he eventually managed to find it and the kite flew off by itself, leaving us to swim 100m to shore. All in all it was pretty fun and probably very good practise – not meant to happen though.

When we met up with Dan and Clare, they’d both been straight in the water – no wasting time with safety lessons in their cowboy school! Clare had been doing really well body dragging and had also loved it. Daniel was out on the water and was managing to stand up on his board!!! The instructors couldn’t believe it, especially as he was out on his own in really strong winds.

The rest of the day passed in more relaxing, eating and messing around in shops selling mad stuff like crocodiles and finished with a delicious Italian meal – this really is a great holiday!

Miles cycled: O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jojo on

Look all terrific fun - I could certainly do something very serious to one of those giant prawns!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: