What a difference a day makes!

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Landmark, Pokhara

Flag of Nepal  , Gandakī Zone,
Thursday, December 30, 2010

After the traumas of the previous night, waking up in a comfy bed with brilliant sunshine streaming through the window was a big relief. I stumbled out to check Mum and Dad were not too demoralised after last night but they seemed ok. Dad had already been for a wander and seen people rowing on the lake and was therefore very keen to get straight out there. Downstairs, breakfast was a complete surprise. Far from the deserted, dingy shack-like building we had reluctantly accepted as our only option the night before, Hotel Landmark now seemed to be a lively fun place with lovely staff and eggs and even bacon for breakfast. It was exactly what we needed, looking out over the balcony we could now see that we are in fact in an incredibly beautiful place, over looking an enormous serene lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. The fresh air and sunshine is absolute heaven after wet, polluted Delhi and it is such a relief to find that we have not made a terrible decision to come to Nepal and last nights events were an unfortunate combination of bad luck, bad people at the airport and bad planning and decision making on our part. It turns out that there is a street festival on in Pokhara from the 28th -1st Jan, and the road is full of stalls and food stands and so our New Years Eve should be great. After breakfast Mikey and I prepared to go out and find somewhere lovely for Mum and Dad to stay, but before we could Dad had a word with the hotel and they showed us two brilliant adjoining rooms on the top floor where we have the most incredible views from both windows and an enormous terrace overlooking the festival, lake and mountains. We didn't bother to look elsewhere and settled down in the sunshine to watch what was going on. We could see at least 20 paragliders circling the largest peak above the lake and Dan was desperate to get up himself and Mikey up there. I went with them to the paragliding centre to check its safe enough for Mikey. Out in the street it was fantastic, after the incredible hassle of Dehli we couldn't believe we weren't being accosted and dragged into shops at every turn, but we were free to wander and look as we chose. I immediately felt much better about having dragged Mum here, because its full of exactly the kind of stuff she loves. As well as all the usual bedspreads, jewelery, bags and stuff, there's also an incredible range of fake ( but really great) North Face gear. Paragliding wasn't as straight forward as Dan had been told, but he should be able to start an acrobatic course on the 2nd Jan at least, if not before. Sadly when we got back to the hotel, we found Dad was really poorly with diarrhea and in the end spent the entire day in bed. The rest of us went and did some serious shopping, after which Mikey and Dan hired mopeds and we bumped round the lake to the paragliding landing spot. (REALLY bad road here, definitely mountain bike territory, not road bikes!) The landing spot was actually really small and I could see Dan looking a bit nervous. He thinks that with out the heavy weight of the motor he usually carries he should be able to land more quickly when gliding. We sat in the sunshine sipping coke and watching people landing at 10 minute intervals feeling that perhaps yesterday's horrific journey had been worthwhile! I could get used to chilling on the back of a moped, it was heaven to watch the scenery and let Mikey worry about hitting potholes. Back at the hotel Dad was a bit better and felt up to coming and watching us eat supper. The 5 minute walk to a restaurant took at least 45 minutes as there were dances, games, strange things cooking and stuff to buy after every step. We also spend a long time choosing a yak wool hat each.(see excellent photo!) Yet another fantastic thing about Nepal is that they eat beef and have an amazing steak house. While the rest of us said we would wait until Dad was better, Dan had to have one and it looked amazing. Looking at the street at 7pm none of us could believe that the place would be as dead at midnight as it had been the previous night, but walking back from the restaurant at 9.30 the crowd had noticeably thinned. Apparently the Nepalese are very early to rise and very early to bed - sweet.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jojo on

So glad to hear you are now all alright. What a ightmare journey but it sounds wonderful where you are - I would like to see a picture of you all eating Nepalease beef steaks. A very Happy New Year to you all

mum and dad on

great blog update.Compelling reading.You must have been shattered after that dreadful journey but glad you found a comfy hotel with the amazing views.Love the photos of you all in hats and also Dan Mike and Polly enjoying the candy floss!Happy New Year to allxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lindy on

Happy New Year - we brought it in at a party then John retired and I did a little bit of first footing - John now on golf course - there is a surprise - and I am not moving at speed - perhaps due to staying out longer!!!
Just been reading the latest info - what a trip but delighted to see that you are now comfortable and the views look stunning - makes looking out at Arran a tad tame!!!!
Looking forward to more news - all love Lindy

Ray and Dave on

Happy New Year!! xxx

betty on

Happy New Year to all of you. Just read your latest blogs - heavens! glad you got through and so glad you're settled in such a good place for some time. My very best wishes. Betty

Jojo on

Let me bring you back to some reality - those in the know here (Betty, her sister, my sister, Lesely and most of the British Isles) will be glued to radio four this evening as it celebrats 60 years of the Archers and it is going to be the first ever 30 minute broadcast with 2 earth shattering events! Doors will be locked and telephones taken off the hook - men will be told to stay in the pubs and a hush will decend!!!

I know you will all be agog to here waht happens - will keep you posted!!

Alison Cunnington on

Happy New Year to you both. I have just updated myself on your travels as I had not read from beginning of December.
I sit and wonder how you do your journey but then you write about how you snap yourselves out of any 'down days' you are having and as you say it makes all our problems seem insignificant to how some of the people you meet live and how happy they are. We have a lot to learn.
Have a great time with your family and I look forward to continuing to hear all about your travels.
Take care xx

debbiecoxy on

hello, what a champion effort - nice pic. good to see you in real-life-skype-time in the very cool hats, ahem, we are just now trying to recover from the christmas and nye excess and feeling a bit grumpy. say hello to gicks from us!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: