Dodgy day in Dehli

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Hotel Grand Godwin

Flag of India  ,
Monday, December 27, 2010

Tricia :

Gradual wake up in Hotel Godwin and made our way to roof top for breakfast. Polly and Mikey went off to sort bikes (hopefully) and, thinking we knew where we were going, Alan, Dan and I strode off on foot. One cannot go an inch without someone latching on offering 'help', so we left Dan to deal with the dealers and concentrated on avoiding the puddles and poo in a very down market area.  Another 'helpful' came along and said we really were not in a good area, so we doubled back and got a tut tut to Connaught Square (built by the Brits in the 30s).  The buildings were obviously once upmarket large places although now rater run down.  The driver was determined to take us to the Government tourist centre but we have really found these places offer very expensive tours and this one was no exception.  Declining their offers, we got the driver to take us back and met up with Polly and Mikey. We realized Monday was not a good day to be in Delhi as all sights were closed! Also for some unknown reason, lifts of any description were very difficult to procure and Mikey decided he could do more useful things on the lap top.  Dan, Alan and Pols and I got a brace of cycle rickshaws to drop us back at Connaught Square, where, after a Chinese lunch,  Dan and Alan disappeared to order useful business rubber stamps and Pols and I – joy of joys – settled down for a Frescato  and Hot Chocolate in COSTA'S! (I've been deprived of my favourite coffee too long).  Dan went off to search out flights to Kathmandu and Pols, Alan and I wandered round the Square – unfortunately Central Park in the middle is closed for a clean up on Mondays.  Alan and Polly had a wonderful shoeshine from a willing little helper.  All four of us got a tut tut back to the hotel and Dan tried to get himself in gear for a very early start (4.00am) taxi to Delhi airport for a 6.30am plane to Kathmandu.  A little while later Air India – true to form- phoned to say the flight was cancelled and he was back to square one!

After a bottle of 'Sula' (Indian) champagne, we climbed upstairs for another excellent supper, then retired to bed far too full of food.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: