Visit to Galatasary (or Fenerbache maybe?)

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Turkey  ,
Friday, November 12, 2010

Pols and I needed the morning off sightseeing to get some boring travel stuff sorted so Mum and Dad went off to see Topiaky Palace. They absolutely loved what they saw, the views over Istanbul and the surrounding water ways providing so much to look at.  Instead, I was stuck in a dirty sweaty basement deconstructing our cycle machines.  I battled away with pedals, pannier racks and handlebars until both bikes were crammed into cardboard boxes (which I had earlier bargained for with the local bike dealer, I hope that is the last time I have to pay 6 for a cardboard box) to take on the plane.  Covered in oil I went back to the room where Polly had carefully laid out all of our kit to decide what makes it to India and what goes back to the UK.  Not easy with such a small baggage allowance (the bike has to be included apparently).  We met Mum and Dad and set out to look at the football stadium of Galatasary, Turkeys most famous football team.  It involved another great boat trip and when we got there, our tour guide for the day (Polly) informed us we were actually in Fenerbache.  Quite a mistake to make given that these two teams are serious rivals.  At least we disguised our mistake from the locals by marvelling at the stadium. Unfortunately we had missed the last tour but it was good to look around at this 52,000 seater cauldron.  Wandering back we sat and did some serious people watching, Polly and Mums very interested in the bridal shops (STILL).  We found a great restaurant.  It was steeped in history as one of Istanbul's finest and the waiter was one of those where you did it his way.  As a result most the food we ordered failed to appear and we got what he felt like!  Red lentil and mint soup became yoghurt and rice soup and Pollys Persian Chicken turned into an Artichoke.  Very satisfied nonetheless we wandered up through a really bustling fish and fruit market before catching the boat home.  A bit of Skype back at the hotel to catch up with the Neville/Mercers back in Chichester finished off another busy day.  All very good.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: