Thank you Sid and Muneera xxx

Trip Start Sep 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 21, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Switzerland  , Geneva,
Friday, September 17, 2010

Woke up early to begin the final leg to Geneva and a promised rest day after 12 days non-stop cycling. Very cold morning and brushed our teeth watching the mist clear over the lake. Stopped in the town to eat more croissants and have coffee to warm up. Mikey had left all his clothes out AGAIN and was soaking wet. The traffic on the way to Nantua was heavy with trucks carrying enormous fir trees. We were on a red road in a valley, but there was a motorway overhead built on a bridge spanning the valley. We spent a long time discussing how on earth they build roads through mountains. After some steady climbs and lots of freewheeling 30mph downhill we saw a sign - 40k to Geneva!!! After 1hr and 1/2 we stopped at the bottom of a 5km descent and had a MacDonald's double cheese burger, making use of the free wifi. Definitely the best MacDonalds ever with a beautiful view of the swiss countryside  from a balcony. Fueled up, we completed a very steep uphill then made the most of an enormous downhill stretch through a gorge, heading to St.Julienne which we knew was 6 miles from Geneva. With 10 miles to go, we both felt absolutely exhausted with nothing in our legs. Had to stop again for more food. Couldn't believe it when we finally reached the border crossing - see video!!! The ride into Geneva was no fun in the traffic, but after negotiating our way all around the city we finally made it to the Ambassadors Hotel where Sid and Muneera had booked for us to stay the night. Mikey went in, and obviously seeing two filthy, smelly cyclists there were a bit suspicious, but one call to Sid and he sorted it out. It was very surreal taking our bikes down to the basement where a lovely porter loaded up all the panniers and took them up to our room on the 6th floor. The room was an absolute dream and made the last two days of hills, cols, non-stop cycling very much worthwhile. So amazing to have a bath, lounge on a sofa and watch television. Sid met us after work, arriving on his scooter which is what they do here apparently, and we went for a beer until  Muneera and the big bump came to pick us up in the car so that we could all go for dinner in the Old town then drive up to the top of town to look at the view over the lake. An amazing evening, and so brilliant to see friends. Decided to stay until Monday hoping that the baby will make an appearance!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: