Arriving in Nagasaki

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Japan  , Chugoku,
Saturday, March 30, 2013

So this morning we caught the Shinkansen to Nagasaki, the second city to have an Atomic Bomb attack.

We checked in at our Toyoko Inn but couldn't go into the room yet so we headed out to try and find something to do. There isn't much going on in Nagasaki apart from all the peace memorial stuff so we did struggle a bit. We went to a monument near the station called the Site of the Martyrdom of the 26 Saints of Japan which had what looked like a church next to it. There were lots of homeless cats there as well.

We stayed there for a bit just relaxing before we headed back and checked into our room. There we had a little rest before heading out to find somewhere for dinner. We went to a Chinese restaurant in the station where I asked if one of their dishes was vegetarian to which she said it was after finding out. When it arrived on the table though and I started eating, it definitely had octopus in there which I was intending to avoid. I left that to the side as well as other questionable stuff but finished everything else.

After that, we headed on the bus to the Nagasaki Ropeway. It was getting dark by the time we arrived which is what we were intending to have. We definitely got there at a good time because about 10 minutes later the queue had grown quite considerably. We bought our round trip tickets and queued for the cable car. It looked quite swish at first but then ended up being not that much more exciting.

At the top, we walked for a bit before ascending the observatory and getting an absolutely amazing view of Nagasaki at night. Our photos aren't amazing but they're good enough to see as well. We stayed there for a while before it started to get cold so we went back to the cable car.

There we found a really long queue of people waiting to go back down as well so we had to wait about 20 minutes. Eventually we got down in a very squashed cable car but we were the first to board so got a great view of the descent. Also at the bottom was a ridiculous queue of people wanting to go up. They would be there for ages.

We got the bus back and walked to the hotel and that was our first day in Nagasaki.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: