Jungle surfing

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I woke up really early today and didn't feel any better than i did last night. I was dozing for a while when at about 9am we had a knock at the door. Rikki answered and it was the lady from reception. She told us we had missed our jungle surfing from the previous afternoon but if we wanted we could do it this morning instead. We had no idea we'd even missed it! No one had told us it was for yesterday so its lucky they let us do it this morning. I wasn't sure how I was actually going to manage to do it, feeling as bad as I did. Nevertheless we got ready, checked out and waited to be picked up. It took us about 20 minutes to arrive at the site where we were quickly suited and booted with our equipment.

We walked up to the first platform, which took about 10 minutes. Apparently our instructor told us that on that walk we would have passed more species of plants and insects etc than if we walked across the whole of Europe and North America combined which is pretty impressive. Once we got to the platform one of the guides clipped herself in and then hauled herself up the wires to the next platform. Luckily we weren't expected to do the same! Instead the other guide turned a wheel mechanism that took us up. It was a strange feeling going up but really quite cool and I wasn't scared or nervous which was surprising.

Once everyone was on the next station, we went over to the next platform in pairs. Me and Rikki went first. This section wasn't very long and I don't remember much of it other than being like wow this is cool. The section after was the longest one and me and Rikki went together again. This time we went over the creek and they stopped us in the middle so we could take some pictures. For the penultimate section we were allowed to go one at a time and I was up first. This time I didn't hold on and it was much better like that. It was really exhilarating! For the last one, the guide got us to lie back and cross our legs over the green rope holding us up and we got to go down like that which was very unexpected but still really exciting. Once everyone arrived at the last platform we headed back to the base and then back to our hostel.

We headed down to the bistro as we had about an hour and half until we were getting picked up. We were absolutely exhausted and basically just sat there quietly until it was time to head back to the pick up point. The bus arrived later than expected and I was beginning to worry we'd missed that as well. How would we get out of the forest?! Luckily though the girl turned up and took us down to where everyone else on the day tour was.

Our first stop for the afternoon was at a little ice cream parlour that make their own different flavours from fruit ad nuts found in the rainforest. Rikki and I shared a cup which had macadamia nuts, raspberry, whittle seed and passion fruit in. The macadamia nut flavour was my favourite. Then we were taken to the Alexander lookout point. From there we could see the mouth of the daintree river and apparently on a clear day you can see cairns. Not today though.

Our next location was in the Mossman Gorge where we attended a short talk from a couple of aborignees. The girl told us about different plants and their uses. Then the guy came along and played the digdereedo for us. It was really impressive especially when he imitated different animals like the kangaroo bouncing around.
Our last stop of the day was at the Mossman Gorge which was actually really pretty. It's like a massive creek that runs down the rainforest. We were there for about half and hour before heading back to cairns.

We were dropped off at the Greenhouse hostel and when we got to our room, we just conked out for a little bit. We got some dinner at Nando's and then headed back to greenhouse where we cancelled our Uncle Brian's trip for tomorrow. We both decided it wasnt worth doing if we were still feeling under the weather and we'd rather rest and recuperate before Japan.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: