Cape Tribulation

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Monday, March 11, 2013

This morning I wasn't feeling too well but we still got up early for our Cape Tribulation 2 Day Tour. We were picked up by a guy called Joe or 'Puddy' because he is from Yorkshire and because we eat Yorkshire Puddings, he got the nick name Puddy.

We hopped on the bus at around 8am along with a group of other people from Gilligans and drove off to pick up a few others before driving north. The journey took about an hour or so but along the way he told us lots of stories about the area and crocodiles he had seen etc. The biggest crocodile he said he had seen was about 5 metres long and would weigh about 600kg which is pretty big!

Anyway, we eventually arrived to our first stop which was a little cafe where we could buy a drink or food. I just got a hot chocolate and Jennie got a drink and a Caramel Slice. After that we went to our next stop which was a short river cruise down the Daintree River. Joe dropped us off there and drove to the other end of the river where he would pick us up. We got introduced to a guy whose name I have forgotten who was going to give us the tour. We were offered free tea, coffee and biscuits before boarding the small boat.

During the journey we discovered that he was a bit of an odd guy but very entertaining. He told us facts about the river, the crocodiles here and also these Mangroves trees which grow around the river. We floated down the river and went down a small side section where someone from another tour said there was a small crocodile. After careful searching, we found him! He was really small but at least we saw one.

We the headed further up stream where we stopped at a very make-shift port and got back on the bus. Joe then took us to the Marraja Board Walk which is just a long walk way where you can see interesting parts of the rain forest. On the walk we saw lots of interesting trees and plants, some poisonous tropical fruit and also had another encounter with citrus ants. I have got some really good photos of them as well.

After that we got dropped off at our accommodation where we checked in and went to our room in quite a big cabin area. There was a massive spider in its web directly above the stairs to the cabin which was a bit disconcerting. Anyway, we had a little rest and then went to find the lookout point down the beach. It took quite a while to get there and since we were wearing shoes, we had to try and find ways round the streams that went down the beach to the sea. Eventually we have up and took them off and walked through them. It took quite a while to get to the lookout point and the view was pretty good but not amazing.

We then headed back down the beach, took some photos and went back to our room. It started to rain a bit on the way back but it wasn't too bad. We have certainly experience much worse.

Back in our room we just rested and then went to cook our vegetable pasta dinner with stuff we had bought before hand. It was alright. From then, we just had a quiet even which was only disturbed by an American girl next door who had been on our bus. A strange mouse creature had crept into her room and was residing under her bed. I took a photo of it and eventually it went away but she was very squeamish.

More soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: