Arriving in Airlie Beach

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Saturday, March 2, 2013

So after our eventful coach journey the night before we were so glad to finally have arrived in Airlie Beach. We also bumped into a couple of friendly faces at the bus stop - the two brothers from Hull, Gary and Ian who we'd met in Byron Bay were waiting to get a coach up to Cairns. We stopped and had a little catch up with them before walking to our hostel, Nomads. It was a really easy walk straight up the only main road Airlie has to offer but by the time we got their we were so hot and sweaty, it was disgusting! But we couldn't complain about the sunshine, it's what we'd been wanting for the past however many rainy days.

We couldn't check in until 1pm but we were able to use their showers. We jumped at the chance and by the time we had both freshened up it was check in time. We headed to our room straight away and got settled in. The hostel is really nice and it has a sort of holiday park feel. Each room is its own little cabin and there is a pool, bar and volley ball area.

By mid afternoon we decided to go and explore what Airlie Beach has to offer. We'd overheard some girls talking about a lagoon so we headed there first and we weren't disappointed at all! It was so lovely, a massive pool that overlooks the ocean. We sat down on the faux beach and soaked up some much needed sunshine until the evening.

We went for dinner in a bar just up the road that we had been told did dinner and a drink for $10 - bargain! I got the steak and Rikki opted for the toasted beef sandwich. While we were eating the rain started up again and it brought with it thunder and lightning. Needless to say we got soaked again on our walk home - you'd think we'd have learnt to be prepared by now but we'll always hopeful it will stay dry. Such suckers we are!

The rest of our night was spent relaxing in our dorm. The Swedish girls we were sharing with we're getting ready to go out and annoyingly kept leaving and then knocking to be let back in. That got old very quickly! Luckily they headed off to wherever they were going quite early so we had peace and quiet for the rest of the night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: