Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
95Trip End Apr 12, 2013
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
We carries on walking down hoping to stumble upon some kind of town centre but it never materialised. We had a quick look at the beach but it must have been high tide because there was only about a metre of beach visible. After about 5 minutes there we got bored and carried on walking. The one thing we had to do today was find a hairdressers so that Rikki could get his locks trimmed. And as it happened, a little further on down the road we found one but they couldn't fit him in until midday so we had an hour to kill. All we did in that hour was cross over the road and sat in a little picnic area, watching the various wildlife. So many birds came flying around us and perching on our bench. It was like a little bird congregation or something. We saw some weird bugs as well and tried to take pictures of them but they all moved at lightning pace so most of them were blurry!
At midday we went back to the hairdressers and Rikki got probably the shortest haircut of his life! He looks really different now, I'm still trying to get used to it, as is he. He is a little perturbed by how much his scalp is now on show :)
We headed back to the hostel to collect our things and then caught the shuttle bus up to the coach station. There was a average sized shopping centre there so we walked around the shops for a little while before getting food.
We'd been told to expect delays to the coach due to the bad weather and road conditions however it turned up pretty much on time. Finally we were on our way out of Hervey Bay!
The coach journey to Airlie Beach is about a 10 hour long drive and the first leg went without a hitch. However a couple of hours in, it began raining really bad outside which wouldn't have been a problem had the side of the coach we were sat on not been leaking! We kept getting dripped on and it got progressively worse the heavier the rain became. When we stopped in 1770 to pick up more people we quickly switched sides to avoid the leaking.
We to talking to a young couple who got on the coach and who'd we'd spoken to in Sydney. Due to the weather they had been stuck in 1770 for four days before any coaches were able to reach them! Rikki and I were quite glad we decided to skip our visit to the town as apparently there is very little to do there.
Aside from the leaking, everything was going fine on our journey until about 1am when the driver informed us that the road ahead had been closed. It had just been flooded by the heavy rain we'd travelled through so we had to wait on the roadside until the tide dropped. I'm not sure how long we were stuck there for, luckily I woke up at some point and we were moving again! We ended up arriving in Airlie Beach three hours later than expected but as least we were there safe and sound!