Fraser Island Day 2

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, February 26, 2013

We were awake early today, the heat inside the tent made it impossible to snooze. Our guide jimmy came around and got everyone up whilst letting us know the plan for the day. We had about an hour and a half to have breakfast and get ready. Once again the boys cooked for us all, making an omelette and toast for the group. Us girls washed up as a thank you.

We got to swap our cars today so that the people in our car who wanted to drive got a chance. We commandeered another groups car so they were demoted to travelling in the lead vehicle, they didn't seem to mind though. We packed up everything that we would need for the rest of the day and one everyone was ready and waiting in their cars, we set off down the sand to Eli Creek also known as Hangover Creek.

When we arrived, jimmy told us to leave our towels and cameras in the car and follow him up the boardwalk alongside the creek. Once at the top, we walked down a set of steps into the water. It was freezing! The coldest water I've ever had to swim in. It was so nice when you stood up and felt the warm air around you. The cool thing about Eli Creek is that the current is quite strong so it gently takes you downstream towards the beach. It's called Hangover Creek because its such a refreshing swim, it never fails to cure a dodgy stomach/head. Rikki and I went down it once and then did it again with our cameras to take some pictures. It was on my second trip down that Jimmy pointed out to me the BIGGEST spider I've ever seen chilling in its web alongside the waters edge. It was so horrible; it had a big, black body and long, thick legs - eurgh! I didn't hang about with it for too long, rest assured.

After about 40 minutes at the creek, we all got back into the cars and drove inland towards Lake Allom. It was so much fun driving through the rainforest and it felt like we had more freedom now that we were in our own car. It took about an hour to arrive at the lake by which point it had started to rain again.

We headed down to the lake which took about 10 minutes through all the forest and rain. Eventually we arrived at the lake which was half hidden behind lots of foliage. The boardwalk that took you to the lake was flooded so we ended up having to go into the water to go back out, to go back into the lake again. It was pretty big and at first sight had a very murky, mysterious colour. Jimmy and one of the other tour guides had already managed to grab a turtle from the water and was showing everyone it. He then let out a small yell and had said something had bitten his foot. I think he was pretending just to scare us but I'm still not completely sure.

Anyway, we went for a short swim in the lake which was quite warm and even more murky out there. We noticed that looking down at our bodies through the water, our skin looked a very dark red colour - alike to a very bad tan or diluted blood... slightly disturbing. Phil told us after that he had dived down into the water and from about a metre down the world looked a very disturbing red and a bit further than that it was just completely black. We didn't stay there that long as the rain was getting a bit worse.

After the lake, it was time for lunch so we headed to a little picnic area. On the menu for lunch today was the leftover meat from the previous day with salad either in a wrap or sandwich. As we were all tucking into our grub, along came a very brave dingo to investigate what we were up to. It came quite close up to us but as soon as anyone went near it and made a bit of noise it would scarper away, only to reappear about 5 minutes later with a renewed sense of bravery. We also saw another big spider in its web next to the public toilets. Thankfully it wasn't as big the one earlier!

Our last location for the day was a place called Champagne Pools. It was a relatively quick drive down the sand to arrive at the cliffs where they are situated. Their name comes from the fact that they are a group of rock pools that constantly get hit upon by the crashing waves. These then bring with them foam and bubbles, hence their likeness to champagne. We walked along the cliff top and down to the pools, taking care across the rocks as they were quite slippery in places. The water was warmer than I had expected it to be and it was quite cool when the waves crashed over the edge and onto you.

We spent about an hour at the pools and then it was time to drive back to camp for the night. Once there, I decided it was time to brave the campsite's showers and was actually pleasantly surprised by the experience, they were cleaner than expected and the water pressure was just right so I was happy! I then went and found the rest of the group in the kitchen cooking dinner. We altered our menu for tonight opting to have mash potato instead of boiled potatoes like everyone else. The decision paid off - everyone in the group agreed it was a delicious meal! The rest of the evening was spent hanging out with the tour group, having a few drinks and a bit of a dance. All in all a very good second day on the island!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: