Rainy Surfer's Paradise

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Monday, February 18, 2013

So this morning we checked out of Aquarius, as did everyone in our room except an Italian guy who is going to stay there for 4 weeks to do a language course in English. We dumped our stuff in reception and went to get breakfast, both getting the same thing we got yesterday. Ian from our room ended up being on the same coach as us. He said Gary had gone earlier and we suspect that they have fallen out over whether to stay or leave Byron Bay.

Anyway, we got the hostel's shuttle bus to the coach station and waited there till 11:15 when the coach arrived. The journey wasn't too had but the coach was quite crowded. About an hour into the journey we stopped off for a meal break so got some lunch in a service station. We then got back on and continued onwards, leaving New South Wales and entering Queensland which doesn't have daylight saving so we are now an hour behind. The weather throughout the journey and arriving into Surfer's Paradise was anything but paradise. It was a complete overcast and lots of showers of rain. This is so depressing as we can't really appreciate these places when it's just rain and cloud all the time.

On arriving in Surfer's Paradise, we got picked up by our hostel and driven over. We passed the sea which looked really rough and our driver said that it was because of the storm that passed a week or so ago. We got to the hostel and had to wait around a little to check in but eventually got to our room which is nice enough for two nights. It reminds us of a run down holiday resort but that'll probably more be because the rain doesn't show it in the best light.

I had a short nap after getting into our room but after an hour or so Jennie roused me and we headed out to explore. We saw one brave surfer on the beach and some very bored looking lifeguards. It was only a light shower then but still not very nice. Once we got to the main shopping area we just had a look around and looked at some places to eat. My throat has been a little sore from the night at Cheeky Monkey's and my voice sounds a little strange so we went to Starbucks to get a hot drink. Sitting there, the rain went from a light shower to torrential rain again. It looked so horrible so we stayed in Starbucks for a while and then left and wandered around again.

We ended up finding an arcade which was huge and just randomly placed in the shopping centre. Since it was still pouring down, we got a 'Powercard' and each loaded $5 onto it. We played air hockey and drew although I scored just after the game had ended... We also played House of Dead which is a zombie shooting game and then two games of a fastest senses game. It was just two square grids of huge buttons that light up and you have to hit as many of the lit up ones as you can in the time frame. Jennie won that by quite a bit so I don't think I have fast reflexes, not that I'm surprised by that.

We left there and the rain had mostly stopped but of course, we got caught in it a bit on the walk back to the hostel. So we hung out clothes out to dry and had a shower and are now talking to a guy called Mike is from London in Canada! He mentioned that there was a Nando's nearly so we went there for dinner. For the who don't know, Nando's is a flame grilled chicken chain.

After that, we went back to the hostel through the rain, got ready and went to the hostel bar. On our arrival they had told us in the minibus that the hostel was taking people out tonight to a club called Sin City. You would get free entry, a free drink and half price drinks all night. It sounded a pretty good deal so we got a cider at the hostel bar and chatted to some American girls and an Irish guy, all travelling across Oz. After our drink we all got in cabs and went to to the club (because of the rain) and got in. It was an alright club, slightly more stylish that we are used to. They played an odd mix of music but we stayed there till about 1am.

More soon,

Rikki x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sharon on

Fingers crossed for you that the weather cheers up soon
lots of love xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: