First Day in Sydney!

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Tuesday, February 5, 2013

So my sheets did eventually get changed and feeling very sleepy we headed out into the city to find a place to have breakfast and just sit down. It was around 9am at this time. We wondered along one of the main roads and eventually came to a Starbucks which seemed pretty standard. We both got a hot chocolate and managed to use the wifi there for half hour for free which was good.

We then headed on down and found a small tourist information kiosk where the guy looked really bored. He showed us the two main tourist information centres, one in the Harbour area and the other in Darling Harbour which was only a 10 minute walk down a road. It was quite nice there, nothing spectacular but nice enough. We then walked back to the hostel, slightly slowly, arriving at just before 11am when we could finally check in. Our room was pretty nice and as I said earlier and in the other post, the sheets hadn't been changed yet so we had to wait around for them. Also, the showers were being cleaned so after about 20 minutes we could both shower which was so amazingly refreshing after the coach trip and carrying our heavy bags.

We left the hostel just as my sheets were being changed and went in search of a free bus that runs in a circle around the city. It took us straight to the Harbour area where we had our first glimpse of Sydney Harbour Bridge which looked massive. We then walked round, taking a few photos before seeing out of the corner of our eye, the edge of the Sydney Opera House. It looks so much more amazing in person and that was quite a surreal moment for us as the bridge and opera house were the first really iconic places we have seen on our travels. It is a really impressive building and we walked by it and then found a reasonably priced cafe right by the sea and had a club sandwich lunch. It was really lovely there as we could see the bridge and the opera house.

After lunch, we walked round past the opera house and this outdoor cinema on the waterfront which would have been really cool to go to had it not been so expensive. We walked through the Botanic Gardens though which were really nice and you got a great view of the bridge and opera house together. We also saw Mrs Macquarie's Chair which wasn't that exciting but we got our photo taken on it anyway. Then we ventured back through the park and past the opera house. The free bus stopped running at 3:30 so we had to walk back through the city. We passed a few clothes shops and had a look inside and Jennie bought a few things from there in the sale. We also passed a Coles so went in and bought some stuff to make... bolognese again! Although we have had it quite a few times now, we aren't too bored of it yet but we will probably do something different next time we cook. After that we just went to our room and chatted to a few of the people there and then finally slept blissfully. Energy recuperated!

Rikki x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: