Red Centre Highlights Tour: Day 2

Trip Start Jan 19, 2013
Trip End Apr 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Northern Territory,
Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Well it's 4:15am on the second day of our Red Highlights tour and we have had to get up extra early to have breakfast before driving to the Uluru Sunrise viewing spot. We both slept pretty well although the breeze was quite loud rattling on the huts around us which some people decided to sleep in. It was nice to wake up still under the stars as well. Breakfast was toast or cereal and you had the option to make yourself a hot drink.

We set off on time and arrived to the viewing spot with around 25 minutes to spare before sunrise. It was pretty crowded as there were quite a few other tour companies with their groups as well but we found room and watched as the sun rose, changing the colour of Uluru. It was quite pretty and an impressive rock to exist in the middle of nowhere. Many photos were taken, some which you can see with this post. It was also surprisingly chilly which we hadn't really experienced in Oz yet and for once we wanted to put more layers on!

After the sunrise, we drove right up to Uluru where we got to walk around one side of it which took about an hour at a leisurely pace. Close up, the rock has lots of interesting features and we learnt about the spiritual beliefs the aborigines have of the rock. It had heated up by then but not nearly as hot as the day before.

Following the Uluru walk, we drove on to see Walpa Gorge which was also pretty impressive. You are able to walk all the way into the middle of the gorge and look around as the rock towers above you on both sides. We got our photo taken there so that will be available to see on our return!

Then, it was time to return to camp to have a quick lunch which consisted of a beef burger with fried onion and some salad etc as well. They're apparently known in Oz as Sleepy Burgers because lots of people fall asleep from them after 45 minutes or so. We don't know what the reason for that is but it worked for both of us!

Once we had tidied lunch away and got ourselves organised, we got on the coach and are now just stopping at our halfway break after 2 and a half hours, to go back to Alice Springs. Probably won't have much news to report after this, just the last 2 hours of our drive.

We are currently sat in the shade outside a petrol station. Jennie decided against an ice cream. Rikki picked up a can of orange Fanta which is interestingly bigger in size than the ones we have in the UK. (Jennie wrote that)

We are now safely back in the Haven Backpacker's Resort, Alice Springs for our last night before we fly out to Melbourne tomorrow. We are in the same room as before and everyone in it is really friendly and are all going on a tour tomorrow so hopefully we won't get woken up but it's alright if we do. Jennie and I went back to the supermarket Coles where we bought a bag of pasta, carbonara sauce and a bag of salad for dinner. I discovered a Mars Honeycomb bar which I've never seen in the UK so had to try that. It's quite nice but nothing spectacular. Dinner was pretty average and we are just watching the news and worrying a bit about the flooding in Melbourne! Hopefully we will be ok! More soon,

Rikki x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sharon on

Maybe it's not the Sleepy Burger that's to blame, it's the 4.15am wake up call! have fun you two xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: