Made it to Canada - eventually!

Trip Start Mar 28, 2012
Trip End May 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
With Dan & Laurie
What I did
St Jacob's Farmer's Market

Flag of Canada  , Ontario,
Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Had a very pleasant 3 hour drive from Littleton down to Boston. As I got there a couple of hours early I headed for the harbour and tried to find somewhere to park - but the only place was a multi-story at $14/hour! So, I decided not to and drove to the airport instead. I forgot to refuel the car but the nice kind man let me out again to do that and then I returned. I then had to go to the desk and explain the collision damage - fair enough. They were happy with everything and said I could go - nothing more to pay. That was good. I managed to cover 981 miles in the week!

Check-in was smooth - except I had to pay $25 for my checked bag - I thought that it was included. In this kind of situation there is simply no point in arguing the case with the airline people. They hold all the aces and if you want to fly, you pay. Simples. The security check was thorough - not only belt off but shoes too. Then I went through the body scanner - just like in the Virgin Atlantic ad on TV!

No duty free - which meant I was unable to buy a bottle of Scotland's finest for hosts - boo. I got some lunch at Wendy's and then hit the bar to watch the Blue Jays and enjoy a couple of pints of Samuel Adam's finest - they have good beer in Boston.

I then settled down with my Kindle to be greeted by the news that there were 'issues' with the flight to Toronto. The plane had a technical problem and was going nowhere. Good for safety, bad for getting somewhere. They then announced that a replacement plane would be flown up for New York. The plane was still in New York when it should have arrived in Boston! It eventually arrived when we had been due to land in Toronto. Everyone was boarded quickly and we then sat for 30 minutes while they slacked off a over-tightened screw to allow the tractor to push us back from the stand! We eventually made it to Toronto.

On arrival at Toronto there was the familiar sight of a snaking line waiting to process through immigration. My hosts had asked me to bring some Bisto gravy granules which I declared on my customs declaration - the American's hadn't had a problem with it. This was a big mistake - I had to join another queue and eventually see the Bisto confiscated. The frustrating thing was that we saw the very same product (made in the UK) on sale in a store today. The Canadians need to get some consistency here!

I emerged into the arrivals hall 4 hours later than I should have - poor Dan. Just over 30 minutes later I arrived at the welcoming and comfortable home of Dan & Laurie in Burlington. It was good to renew old acquaintances with a glass of Canada's finest wine! I slept well.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: