Tokyo to Chicago

Trip Start Jan 31, 2010
Trip End Feb 14, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Illinois
Sunday, February 14, 2010

Greetings from the Red Carpet Club at Chicago O'Hare!  The flight from Tokyo to Chicago was really nice, on a United Boeing 747-400.  We patiently waited at the gate until they called up the standby passengers -- Lucas was assigned to First, and I was assigned to a window seat on the upper deck in Business (exactly what I wanted!).  United has an interesting configuration for its Business Class lie-flat seats -- the rows alternate between forward-facing and rear-facing seats.  Mine was rear-facing, and I thought it would be weird to fly "backwards."  But other than the difference in thrust direction on takeoff and landing, it was not noticeable at all (except when I looked out the window, of course).

We took off from Tokyo on time, and the sky was already dark.  We were asked to close our window shades as the sun would be up in the sky during the middle of the flight, when most people would be sleeping.  Dinner service started with a cocktail and warm nuts, followed by an appetizer of a green salad, garlic bread, and a cold plate of shrimp, ham and sushi.  The entree choices were filet mignon with an asiago potato quiche, or a sauteed nile perch with rice.  I had the filet, and it was nice and tender.  (Lucas' had two additional entree selections in First Class: baked chicken or sea bass -- he had the sea bass.)  Dessert was a passionfruit cheesecake.

Early into the flight, I had turned on my reading light.  Later, as I was trying to watch some videos on my laptop, I was unable to get the light to turn off.  I brought it to the flight attendant's attention, and she conferred with the purser.  They decided to reset the entertainment console for my seatmate and me -- but I asked them to do it after my seatmate finished watching his movie.  At the end of the flight, the flight attendant handed my seatmate and me "apology cards" with a serial number to go online and claim a reward.  Turns out the reward offered is for a $150 voucher for future domestic travel!

About four hours into the eleven hour flight, I took out my contact lenses and popped a sleeping pill, which I got from my doctor specifically for this flight.  Although I usually never have problems sleeping, I'm never able to sleep on a plane -- I guess I find flying too much fun!  I reclined my flat-bed seat and settled in with the nicer pillow and blanket that Lucas smuggled up to me from First Class, and actually slept!

I woke up about an hour before landing, as the attendants were starting a snack service.  The snack was a choice between a fruit plate or a mini chicken pot-pie (which I had).  Before I knew it, we had arrived at O'Hare!

We went through customs, re-checked our bags and proceeded to Terminal 1 for our connecting flights home.  There was a bit of a line at security, and by the time we got through and made it to the Red Carpet Club, we checked the flight loads and saw that the following flights out (both leaving about two hours later) had better availability -- so we re-listed for those flights.  Now we're relaxing in the Club and sharing some trip photos with each other.

Be home soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


flyboy2 on

wow its too bad I didn't see this or know Lucus earlier as I flew back from San Juan on the 14th, but by the time I got in you both would have been long gone and home. I think we arrived back just after 10pm.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: