Why do so many people call it Stock City?

Trip Start Jan 11, 2011
Trip End Jul 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sweden  , Stockholm,
Sunday, June 26, 2011

We arrived at Stockholm Central station at about 5pm from Copenhagen on Friday, June 24. Arvid met us there a couple of hours later and we went with him to his parents' house which is about a 25 minute train and bus ride. Once we arrived we made a typical Swedish midsummer night meal. We had boiled potatoes, sour cream with spring onions, aquavit (Swedish liquor that tastes a bit like black licorice) and a bunch of herring within different sauces. It was a great meal. For dessert we had strawberries with vanilla ice cream which was really good as well. After we cleaned up our dinner stuff we watched the movie Role Models. Unfortunately the second half of it wouldn't work, so at that point I went up to bed and Brian and Arvid watched a different movie.

On Saturday, June 25 all three of us slept in late. We then had strawberry crem with milk and some cheese and sausage sandwiches for breakfast. We made some noodles and sausages and packed them into Tupperware to take with us into Stockholm. After we arrived at Stockholm central station we took a tram over to the Vasa Museum in Djugarden. Once inside we ate our lunches that we had packed. Next we watched a short film about the history of the Vasa ship, its recovery and the museum. The ship was finished in 1628 under King Gustavus Adolphus II during the 30 years war and was supposed to be the pride of the Swedish navy. It had 64 cannons on it and on its maiden voyage it sailed for about 15 minutes before tipping over and sinking into the archipelago. It stayed sank for 333 years until it was brought up in the 1950s. We took a short guided tour and then walked around the rest of the museum ourselves. I thought the section about the people who had died on board was pretty interesting. Scientists have been able to re-figure several faces from skulls and bone structure so we could see what the people most likely looked like. After the Vasa museum we took a tram back to the city center and walked around from there. We saw the City Hall, the Royal Palace, the Opera Hall, the Parliament, the Saint George and the Dragon statue, and various other parts of the 'Old Town.' we then walked over to Slussen and had a great view overlooking the city. Eventually we decided to take the metro back to the central station and then go back to Nils and Eva's place. When we arrived back at the house we ate dinner and caught up. Then we watched a little television and spent some time online before I went to bed and Brian and Arvid watched a movie.

We woke up around 9am on Sunday, June 26 and showered and ate breakfast. Then we went to a palace where Sweden's current royal family lives. There we met Frida and her boyfriend and Signe. We all took a half hour ferry into the center of Stockholm. Upon disembarking we walked around the 'Old Town' a bit before going to lunch at a noodle and pizza place called Vapianos. We all had pasta and I got pasta rodeo which was really good. After a great lunch we all split up and Frida, Arvid, Brian and I went to the Alfred Nobel museum. We walked around a bit and then took a tour of the museum. It was a very interesting tour and I learned a lot about Nobel, his huge will, and all of the men and women who have won a Nobel prize. When we finished walking around in the museum Frida left to meet up with a friend and Arvid, Brian and I walked around a bit before getting some ice cream and coffee at a McDonalds. Next we headed over to the Olympic stadium (from the 1912 Olympics) to watch Djugarden take on Hecken in a soccer match. The game was pretty exciting all the way through and it had a good finish as Djugarden scored in the 80th minute and they won 1-0. When the game ended we went back to the house, ate some food and then skyped with our parents for a while. Soon after skyping we put some wash in and then we all went to bed.

On Monday, June 27 we decided we were going to Arvid's grandparents place in Dolara on the archipelago. We threw in some more wash and then ate breakfast and got ready to leave. We packed some clothes and food to take with us and then we took a train toward Dolara. We were going to take a bus the last part of the trip, but the train was running so late that we missed the bus. Luckily, Arvid knew that if that happened we could take a taxi and the cost would be reimbursed. Therefore, we arrived in the early afternoon in a taxi to the Arvid's grandparents' property. We were staying in one of the small cabins so we put our stuff in that one and then went down by the water. We spent a few hours laying out, napping, reading, and swimming. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day! Later on, Arvid's aunt and uncle and his younger cousin arrived as well. His cousin, Ureal (sp?) and the three of went out in a row boat and went herring fishing. We used little wooden tools with fishing string and a series of hooks. We caught quite a few right away but then after awhile we weren't catching anything so we decided to call it quits. The three of us headed back up to our cabin where we made dinner. For dinner we made some pasta and meatballs and put Heinz chili sauce on top to have a very tasty meal. After dinner we cleaned up and then watched some television before going to sleep.

We all slept really late on Tuesday, June 28. After waking up we had crem and milk for breakfast and then cleaned up the cabin. When we finshed cleaning up everything Brian laid out in the sun for a while. I had gotten pretty sunburnt the day before so Arvid and I hung out mostly inside and watched the Swedish women national team play their first game in the Women's World Cup in Germany. Eventually we decided to head back to Nils and Eva's house. We got back around 8pm and then had did dinner with Nils and Eva. Eva made a great dinner of salmon and vegetables. We had some melon and vanilla ice cream for dessert and then after cleaning up Brian and I went upstairs to get all our stuff packed up. We weighed our backpacks in preparation for our upcoming flight from Oslo to Dublin and decided that after each leaving behind a pair of shoes we could re-arrange our things to be within the weight limit of 20 kilograms. That night Brian, Arvid and I watched the film Public Enemies and had some Swedish beer. After the movie we all went up to bed.

Brian and I woke up at 6:30am on Wednesday, June 29. We showered and ate breakfast with Nils, Arvid, and Eva and then said good-bye to Nils and Eva. Arvid went with us on the bus and train to the central station. Once there we found out that a train had broken down blocking one of the major tracks so our train was delayed for over an hour. Eventually our train arrived and we said good-bye to Arvid. We were then on our way to Oslo, Norway.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: