Trip Start Sep 06, 2004
Trip End May 22, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Tuesday, March 8, 2005

An early start today, we said goodbye to the Tasman Sea and headed inland today, we worked our way through the mountainous Haast pass and through the mount Aspiring National Park, we arrived at Wanaka at about 12.30pm and Esther was waiting outside the hostel for me, it was great.
After I had booked into my room and changed, Esther took me for a walk around the town to show me the sights. While we were waiting to cross the road a car stopped and we heard someone shout our names, when we looked round it was May. We were all really surprised. We caught up with her later.
We stopped at the internet café so that I could show Esther my photos from Franz Josef. She was very jealous as she had wanted to do the helicopter ride but it had been called off because of the weather and she never got to go.
We found May again in the town she was staying at the YHA on the other side of town. We all went for some lunch and caught up with what we had all been doing.
We had packed our swim suits as that we could go for a dip in the lake.
It was a bit fresh but really nice after the hot sun. Esther had to be at work by 6pm so we headed back and had some food. The hostel was really nice and the garden was lovely.
After Esther finished work we went to the pictures to see a film-sorry can't remember the name-it was good. May was meeting us there. The cinema was amazing place, when we got inside it wasn't like a normal cinema, there were sofas and arm chairs and an old beetle car that had been converted into seating as well. It was the most comfortable cinema that I had ever been in. there was also a transmission. After the film Esther and I walked May back to her hostel then headed back to ours, May was going to move to our hostel the following day.
Wanaka looked lovely and I wanted to stay for a while.
The following morning I got up early and headed into town to see if I could find a job and somewhere to live. First stop was the employment agency. I spoke to a very nice woman who offered me vineyard work, no thanks-not that again, next she offered me cleaning work at a hotel, not too bad but it was outside town and I didn't have transport. The last option was next door in the local supermarket, this sounded better, she sent me there to talk to Phil. Of I went and had a brief interview and I was to start work the next day at 12 noon as a checkout girl. 5 days a week 8 hours a day and $11 ph.
Next was to find somewhere to live. I had picked up a number at the internet café advertising a room in a house at $110 per week plus expenses. I phoned the number and spoke to Lucas; we agreed to meet at the lake after he finished work at 5.30pm so that I could go up to the house and have a look.
The rest of the day was spent by the lake with Esther.
May came with me to look at the house, it was lovely. A very new house everything in it and clean, there were three bedrooms that would mean a room all to myself with a double bed in it. The best part was the bath-of course the other guy that lived there was LB both of the guys were from the Czech Republic.
I agreed to move in the next day in the morning.
Not a bad day's work, finding a house to live in and work. It was looking good for Wanaka.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: