The end of the road in Paihia

Trip Start Sep 06, 2004
Trip End May 22, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Friday, January 28, 2005

My two days at the garden centre-oh by the way its called "must stop in" were great, I loved it and when Steph returned, I got a big hug and the promise of more work.
Life at the house was becoming a bit stressed. Our German housemates hadn't quite grasped the concept of quite. In fact they were bloody loud all of the time, which wasn't good when the rest of us had to work in the mornings. Esther was up at 7am each day and if I was pulling the breakfast shift I was up at 5am, not good when they were still partying at 2am. I lost my rag one night-sorry morning at about 1am, I wasn't rude, but I did Inform them that when I got up at 5am they would be getting up too! And they did, well after I went round the whole house banging on their door and shouting as loud as I could.
Jackie, Esther and I started to look for some where else to live, help came form a Maori lady called Adelaide, she worked with Jackie at the Salty (pub) and was on the local Maori trust. She knew of a house that was owned by the trust and was empty, she approached them for us to see if they would rent it out to us.
The answer was yes and the rent was set at $800 per week, we found some more people to move in.
There were 8 of us in total, but the house was very large and had two bathrooms and two kitchens and it was a two-story house. After a few problems, we moved in. Esther and I were sharing a room again, which was good.
I had heard from Steph again and she wanted me to work at the garden centre every Monday, wonderful it was the highlight of my week, who would have thought that I would ever look forward to Mondays!!
Five of our housemates worked at the same place- the salty and finished work at about 2am.
I had managed to find another job, cleaning in a motel in the mornings I started a 9am and finished at about 2pm then back to work in the evening at 5pm.
I don't think that morning and evening workers should share houses that are made from wood!!Christmas came and went-not too good, but hey that's life1 Then new year, I missed it in NZ, I fell asleep after working from 8am - 10.30pm. But I did hear new years in London the following after noon.
The noise in the house was getting too much for me again so I started house hunting again, Esther has deiced that she had had enough as well but was going to start traveling again and head down south.
A woman I worked with at the restaurant told me she was heading up north on the 5th January to go fruit thinning. It seemed like the chance I was looking for so I agreed to go with her. I handed in my notice at my three jobs and packed up my stuff. Oh my god how much stuff did I have. Steph kindly allowed me to store some of it at her house while I was away-it was only going to be three weeks.
All of my bosses wanted me to stay, which was really great and I had the promise that all my jobs would be there for me when I came back.
Steph even took me out one night trying to talk me around to staying; instead we got very drunk. I kind of remember that we wanted to walk home via the beach, but getting to it seemed to be difficult and ended up on our bums sliding down the dunes and into the water-oh well at least it was warm!!
It was hard leaving Paihia, I really felt at home there.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: