I have arrived in Auckland

Trip Start Sep 06, 2004
Trip End May 22, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  ,
Sunday, September 19, 2004

Well I arrived in Auckland safe and well on the 18th September 2004, very tired. For once I had loads of space on the plane (3 seats), but unfortunate I also had a very large family from Newcastle as well and the kids wouldn't stop arguing and shouting the flight. How they are still alive is beyond me, especially after 9hrs.30mins without a fag!!.
I couldn't believe how organized Auckland airport was. The staff are extremely helpful and polite. As you were queuing for immigration you are given a glossy mag called arrival, it's full of information on where to go and what to do in NZ also has money off vouchers.
The very nice man at immigration asked my a few questions and stamped my passport and let me in.
On the other side of immigration was the baggage reclaims area and an army of custom officers with their dogs. I got the beagle sniffing my stuff, but he didn't find my bar of chocolate.HA! After you claim your baggage you make your way to the FREE tea and coffee stand, so I had my coffee and went on my way.
Outside the airport the council has laid on shuttle buses to take you into the city. You give the drive your address (anywhere in the city) and he takes you right to your door all for $20 (about 8GBP)
By the time I arrive at my hostel "BASE" I was dead on my feet. I even had trouble remembering how to spell my full name- but then very few people can so I fell better. I got up to my dorm and crashed out for 2 hours didn't even bother to undress. When I woke up I met my new roommates. Not really my kind of people!
My sister had kindly booked me into the girls only floor at the base backpackers hostel for my birthday present, I thought it would be a really good idea, not having smelly boys around, but I think this was a mistake- way to many hormones in a confined place can never be a good thing! Oh well you live and learn. I was outside the hostel having a cigarette (can't smoke inside-NOT GOOD) and Johnno from the board walked passed. It was really good to see someone that I knew. After a chat I found out that Scott was staying at base too.
He also said that there were spare bunks in his room, so not long after I managed to move down there. I finally meet Scott- (funny-Haha-funny guy) who also moved into our room. My other roommates are Shorty-german guy, and Dan- English guy and Mo-Scottish lady.
There are all really nice, I have really hit it off with mo, she is so nice and funny.
After that Scott,Mo and Me all went out in search of food but found a really nice pub instead!
Johnno had taken himself off to hospital after ignoring all our advice that he only had jetlag and that he was not dying of bird flu or something!! Wouldn't listen to any of us and off he went.
We got back at about 2am after a really good night out.Johnno sampled NZ health service and spent 5hrs in A&E waiting to be seen and to be told that he had jetlag.!! People had told me that NZ was a lot like the UK.
I had a great first day in NZ, everyone has been very kind and I have met some lovely people. It's still all sinking in that I'm really here.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: