The frustrations of Air Travel!!

Trip Start May 19, 2010
Trip End May 23, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
At my house

Flag of United States  , Florida
Sunday, May 23, 2010

I got up about 5:15 am and packed my stuff. Little did I know what a frustrating day it was going to be.  I went down to check out at about 6:15 am.  When I got my bill at the front desk there was no reduction in price for the first night of my stay as was promised. I asked the guy at the front desk about it and he said he didn't know anything about it, but that if such a promise was made, it would have been noted in the computer (implying that I was making it up).  I explained to the guy that the other front desk attendant the evening before had VOLUNTEERED to give me break on the room…that I hadn’t asked for it.  He then started telling me how I didn’t have any grounds for requesting a break on the room price and how since I reserved the room through Expedia that the computer wouldn’t let him do it anyway.  So I asked him about giving me extra points on my HHonors frequent guest account.  He told me no on that too.  So I told him I would not be staying at his hotel ever again and would encourage others not to stay there either.  I will not stay at places where the employees don’t follow through with their promises.

I walked out the door, loaded up my rental car and headed to the airport.  I dropped the car off at the rental counter drop box (they weren’t open yet).  I checked my bag at the US Airways counter and then got some breakfast at the café in the airport.  We boarded the plane and headed up into the clear blues sky towards Phoenix.  We made great time getting to Phoenix, but when we landed at the airport, there was no place for the pilot to park the plane.  It had only taken us 36 minutes to make the flight to Phoenix, from Flagstaff, but we had to drive around for over 45 minutes before the pilot could find a spot to park the plane and we could finally disembark!  That meant that I had to really run across the airport to make it to the gate for my next flight to Charlotte.  I didn’t have time to pick up a sandwich for the 4 hour flight.  I figured I would just buy a meal on the flight, but after we took off they started taking orders for food at the front of the plane.  By the time the stewardess got to where I was sitting in the tail, she had run out of meals.  When we got to Charlotte, we had to circle for a long time before we landed.  After we landed everyone took forever to clear out before those in the tail to could leave, so once again I had to really run to make it to my next flight to Pensacola.  There was no time for me to grab something to eat before the flight boarded. 

We took off and headed south towards Pensacola.  After about 45 minutes in the air, the stewardess got on the P.A. and asked if anyone on board was a doctor.  One man raised his hand and the stewardess took him forward to a woman who was in distress.  They gave her oxygen and attended to her for a while, but after a few minutes the pilot made an announcement that due to a medical emergency, we were being diverted back to Charlotte.  The plane banked around and we headed back northward.  When we landed, the paramedics were waiting on the tarmac and they rushed in as soon as the door of the plane opened.  They stabilized the elderly woman who was ill, and then helped her down to aisle to a waiting stretcher.  After she was on the stretcher they put her in the ambulance and away they went.  We sat there on the tarmac for quite some time while the plane was being refueled and the pilot filled out paperwork with the FAA for changing our flight plan.  While we waited, the stewardess came around with cups of water for all who wanted a drink.  Finally, we were given permission to take off again and we headed back towards Pensacola for the second time.  The pilot told us we were taking a "short cut" to Pensacola.  I am not sure what that means, but it was almost sunset by the time we arrived in Pensacola (about 2 hours later than planned). My vacation in Arizona was amazing, but today has been a very irritating day!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sandi Prather on

Technology is great when it works, not so much when it fails miserably!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: