Trip Start Jun 14, 2004
27Trip End Jul 30, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Ive been in Nicaragua for almost a month now. It is absolutely beautiful here (the country, not Managua), there is incredible history and the people are amazing as well.
Ive begun to realize that my spanish is painfully improving, but my goal of becoming fluent will not happen unless i spend a good year in a spanish speaking country. which is fine with me, for i am sure that it would bring me many more beautiful adventures.
To highlight the trip:
- ive been travelling with three other peace corps volunteers from belize, Sarah, Ben and Phil
- i climbed a non-active volcano and swam in the lagoon inside its crater. the volcano, called maderas, is on the middle of an island in lake nicaragua. the four hour hike up 1300 meters was gruelling and at times i wanted to to lie down, but i made it. on the way back down we got in a ridiculous mud fight that left sarah and i covered in dirt and the boys of course untouched. apparently, sarah and i are unversed in the rules of combat.
- i also swam in the deepest geologically measured point in central america. there's a fun fact for you. laguna de apoyo, another crater lake in nicaragua.
- rode a horse, swam in a waterfall, saw some fantastic views. trust me when i say that me riding a horse is not a pretty picture.
- i ate a lot of gallo pinto (rice and beans), swam in the pacific ocean and got scared i was going to get lost in the waves (they are huge), went and saw two movies in ACed theaters, and walked around in a mall which feels weird.
- i realized that travelling alone is NOT as scary as one might think and you are always meeting incredible and interesting people who are travelling and have the desire to explore the world like i do and that is always a good feeling
- i realized the incredibly small amount of things that you actually need to be able to travel. when you have to carry it all on your back for a month, its a lot different then just being able to throw it in your car.
hmm, dont really know where this is all going. im actually waiting for sarah, she decided to go see another movie, one with ashton kutcher, which is less then desirable for me. i guess im just trying to say that ive realized a lot about travelling on this trip and how easy it is. and that there are some really amazing places and people and experiences out there waiting for you to grab if you're willing too.
that's it, although i will be posting some pictures as soon as i get back to belize
i hope that everyone is doing well. happy and healthy and enjoying life.
nine months till im back in the states
much love, K