Alaska Day 2 - Denali to Talkeetna

Trip Start Jul 24, 2010
Trip End Jul 31, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Alaska
Monday, July 26, 2010

Alaska Day 2:  Denali to Talkeetna

(via Angela)
North to Alaska!  

Well………………south to southern parts of Alaska anyway.  We hear it’s a lot warmer down there.  Temp today in Denali was 55 degrees.  So nice.

Getting ready this morning was……interesting.  4 people in a camper, my mom’s worry over being late and missing “the show”………  I could go on and on.  But I won’t.  There was coffee, so I was happy and content.  For some reason, Paula doesn’t drink coffee in the morning, so she wasn’t so happy and content.

Parents stayed and broke down “camp” and headed on to Talkeetna.  They had already seen the sled dog demo before we arrived.

We made it – 30 minutes early, might I add – to the sled dog demo at Denali park.  What really made this worthwhile was the fact that we found a red-headed dog for Paula and a blonde dog for me……..not to take home.  Don’t worry, Bob.  Just for photo op.  Just for photo op.  What if I were to say to you, “I haven’t adopted an Alaskan sled dog YET?”

I’ve decided that, if the opportunity presents itself, like if Bob leaves me or dies on me, I will do all in my power to get this gig.

Paula spotted the biggest, big-ass bunny while there.  This bunny was bigger than my cat, so I’m estimating that it was 15-20 lbs.  I really think it may have been the Easter Bunny.  And I think Paula should become a professional bunny spotter.

After the demo, we drove south to meet my parents.  Rain, rain, rain all the way.  Rainy days and Mondays…….  Much of the way, we were still in Denali Park.  I read about Alaska before the trip, of course, and just couldn’t believe that the state’s population is only 650,000.  We drove more than 30 miles in between gas stations/evidence of civilization today, so I began to believe.  We stopped at the Alaskan Veteran’s Memorial and gave thanks to my dad for his service, as we always do, and his temporary abandonment of us during the Vietnam conflict. 

We drove over a bridge that spanned Hurricane Gulch, glanced over the side, and both got a bit of vertigo.  So we stopped, climbed over the guardrail, and stood by the edge.  For me, I use that term loosely.  Paula did get pretty close and got some really great pictures, while I went back to the car looking for ropes and climbing equipment – to make sure she didn’t fall off the cliff.  No climbing equipment (damn these rental cars!), so I made worried noises and lectured her to the best of my ability.  All ended well.  No one fell.  No one died.

Arrived at Talkeetna, parents, and camper.  Jade seemed a bit more excited than my parents to see us.  Hmmmm…….

Our airplane sightseeing trip tonight was canceled due to inclement weather, so we cried for a time, then opened our second bottle of wine.  It’s still raining now, but do not despair:  we have 2 more bottles.

(via Paula)
I wonder if I can market my big-ass bunny spotting talent somehow?
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: