Salt Lake City

Trip Start Aug 15, 2006
Trip End Aug 13, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Sunday, May 13, 2007

We arrive into FREEZING COLD Uyuni at 4am!!! Takes getting into bed with all our clothes on and 5 blankets to get some warmth back into us. After checking out a few tour companies we book a 3 day jeep tour of the salt flats for the next day.

We met Wilson our Hong Kong buddy, (from the Larres valley trek in Peru) in Uyuni and had breakfast. We hope to meet up again properly in Argentina.

The tour company thought it was a good idea to put us with our own, so we got nailed with four mad Irish girls. We had a non-English speaking guide and cook so between the 6 of us our Spanish was put to the test.  The first day was a great laugh out on the salt plains (which is a giant salt lake which dried up ages ago)trying to get some funny photos with a box of pringles and a coke bottle. We visited an island covered in cactai and had an al fresco lunch of steak and salad. Our first night was spent in a tiny town called San Juan drinking cheap wine and keeping the other groups awake. Who decided to put the 6 Irish together eh???  

After this the tour kind of ran out of sights. We spent the 2nd day driving for 8 hours with not alot to see. The road was rough and not very enjoyable for anyone with a hangover and dodgy stomach.  We saw a couple of lakes, lots of flamingoes and a slightly smoking volcano. We had been warned about temperatures reaching minus 12 degrees that night so everyone went to bed layered up (except for Paul who was in his boxers). Turned out to be fine and we had a great kip.

Day 3 started at 4.30am in a blizzard as we ascended to over 5,000 metres to see some geysers. Paul was the only one to get out of the truck to see them (it was so cold). He was rewarded by walking straight into a stinking mud pool and sinking up to his ankles. Nice and warm at the start but once the dampness got in through his socks his feet started to freeze! We then got to a thermal pool for sunrise and breakfast - some brave souls got in for a dip.

All in all we had a good trip but it was really dragged out for example we were brought to a Train Graveyard on the way back???? A one day tour of the salt flats would really have been enough but at least we got lucky with our group again.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: