The Fuzz Finally Catches Up To Us!

Trip Start Mar 28, 2013
Trip End Jul 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Washington
Sunday, July 7, 2013

We were eager to get going the next morning to see what the state of Washington had in store for us. Maybe a little too eager! Just after crossing the bridge into Washington we were pulled over for speeding. The police officer was friendly but unfortunately still gave us a ticket. At least he reduced it! When you think of the number of miles we have covered on this trip it is pretty amazing that this is our first ticket!

We continued driving on the Lewis and Clark Trail and through the Olympic National Forest. As we were driving a deer suddenly jumped onto the road directly in front of us. It's pretty hard to slow down quickly when pulling a trailer but fortunately the deer got out of the way just in the nick of time. We all breathed a sigh of relief and were grateful because there would have been a lot of tears the rest of the drive if the deer hadn't been so quick! 

We arrived at the KOA in Port Angeles and headed straight to the pool after setting up. We do seem to be creatures of habit! After laundry, we checked out the harbour in Port Angeles. It was neat to see tons of logs in the marina waiting to get shipped out. In between speeding tickets and deer on the highway we saw quite a few trucks transporting logs as well, a big industry here. After driving through the town and seeing a Chinese restaurant we realized we had been missing Chinese food and enjoyed another great meal out!

The next day we stocked up at the local farmers market. It was a good size and they had a great token system so if you didn't have cash you could buy tokens with your credit card. They had lots of booths with yummy food to choose from and we enjoyed chatting with all the local vendors.
Olympic National Park is what brought us to Port Angeles. We first went to the Visitor Center in Port Angeles to speak to a Park Ranger to figure out what we wanted to do in the park. They had an amazing children's discovery room with lots of great learning activities. They also had some great animal exhibits and the kids looked at skulls of different local animals while listening to the calls they make. We watched the video about the park then got back in the truck excited to do some exploring!  It was the first time we had to wait in line for other cars to leave before we could enter the park. It was a beautiful day and they had a limited number of parking spots. We only had to wait about 15 minutes in line then drove up Hurricane Ridge.
The mountains were absolutely beautiful and driving just 30 minutes brought you into a whole new environment. There was snow for us to play in and a deer was wandering through the parking lot! We took the Big Meadow Trail then the High Ridge Trail to get a good look at the amazing mountains and valleys. When we came back down a Park Ranger pointed out a baby deer to us that had just been born 2 hours earlier. The Mother was eating nearby and the baby was laying in the tall grass near the trail. An unbelievable thing to get to see! There is so many amazing things that seem to be awaiting us in the National Parks!
After picking up groceries we couldn't get at the farmers market we went back to the campground for the night. We haven't experienced any of the rain Washington is famous for and have had beautiful weather. Let's hope Seattle is the same!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Neil on

Note to Bruce: hockey playoffs are over.

Karen MacKinnon on

A speeding ticket while pulling a trailer, now that's impressive! :)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: