The Tale of the Wedding

Trip Start Jul 04, 2009
Trip End Jul 30, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
DuBay Shores RV Park

Flag of United States  , Wisconsin
Sunday, July 12, 2009

July 8-12 The Wedding Festivities

Wednesday evening, the two families met for dinner at The Great Dane.  Very nice restaurant—very large party of folks—everyone except Melissa who was doomed to be stuck in the airport in Chicago all night!  I had fried cheese curds—tasted amazingly tasted like fried cheese!  The whole cheese curd thing remains a bit of a mystery to me—it is good but it is cheese, I assume.  But I am not from one of those cow-intensive cheese states so I could be wrong.

Thursday evening was the night for the pre-wedding celebrations.  We went out to Dan's folks house which is on a lovely piece of property with horses, lots of cute kittens, a field of soy beans and a bear! Boo-Boo bear lives there and he’s a black bear so he’s a good sized guy.  Penny, Dan’s mom, went in a gave him some of his food which he ignored because he was being fed carrots by someone else—he loves carrots.  It was a nice gathering—lots of friends, beer (lots and lots and lots of beer), brats, burgers—great food.  A whiffle ball game broke out suddenly.  It was a lovely, warmish, sunny evening. 

Melissa got up and gave us present from China that were so neat—a lovely thing to see her again after so long.  I should’ve gotten a picture of the brass Godzilla she found for Travis—very cool.

All of this was just a prelude to the pre-wedding parties—the bachelor’s party was being held on a party bus that took them from bar to bar.  There were reports that at one bar there was a one-legged pole dancer—I really hoped to see pictures of that but apparently she works on the weekends!  There was much drinking and other stuff, I heard. 

There was more preparing for the bride’s party (hen party? I don’t know what it is called.)  First Jennifer got a tiara and a lovely pink boa.  Dan had inflated a tasteful pink penis with a large smile that she had to carry. She also got a buns pincher that didn’t function correctly.  The centerpiece was her shirt.  It had little individually wrapped life savers pinned all over it.  To get one, the person had to pay a dollar and then suck it off—she made over $70!  What a deal.  They had a good time too though there was no moonshine that makes folks sick in the parking lot like the men found!

Friday was the rehearsal dinner day.  Jennifer, Melissa and I had to get some decorations—lots of tulle and some flowers. Weddings require an endless amount of tulle, it seems.  This tulle was to decorate the arbor that the officiant (Melissa as she called herself) would stand to perform the ceremony.  Jennifer had thought of everything—she got flowers to make an arrangement over the arbor but also over the door into the tent that was outside the Cedar Creek Lodge where the wedding was taking place.  She also had orange ribbons with their names and wedding dates on them to trim the arrangements.  She’d added buttons to each ribbon since buttons had become a theme once she make the button bouquets that were amazing.  She did such a wonderful job on all the big and little touches for the wedding. 

The rehearsal was a bit chaotic—there had been some drinking beforehand.  It was also brief.  We then adjourned to Penny and Dan’s place for a rehearsal dinner which was very nice again.  The celebrating went on long into the night though Tom and I, as good old people should, retired to our trailer at a decent hour.

The wedding day dawned clear and cool which was nice—there had  been some forecasts of rain and storms but everything cooperated. We got to the lodge to find an acceptable level of chaos.  Travis and Melissa were left out at Penny and Dan’s with no way in—Tom left to get them.  There were lots of calls of other folks going to get them but we told them not to. Alas, someone else did so Tom drove all the way out there for no reason except to get out in the fresh air!  I went down to decorate the tables for the dinner afterward.  I sprinkled with bride/groom sparklies and lots of buttons to continue the theme—those buttons, unsurprisingly to those who know my children, became projectiles later during the dinner!

Melissa and Travis were busily decorating the arbor and getting the music ready.  The tent really looked pretty though the arbor kept leaning and when the wind came up, we feared we might all become like the Dallas Cowboys and the tent would collapse—it was making alarming creaking noises at times.  But the arbor stayed up and the wind died down so that the ceremony was very nice.  The music was very apropos—Jennifer’s processional was the Imperial Troopers March from Star Wars.  Anyone who knows Jennifer, knows it fits—and it sounded great too.  Tom looked wonderful and kinda scared escorting her down the aisle and gave her a big hug and kiss before he sat down.  The groomsmen looked great in their tuxes and the bridesmaids all looked so nice in their very nice dresses (as opposed to SO many bridesmaid dresses I have seen) The service was short but VERY nice—Jennifer had written a lovely ceremony and Melissa had added some touches—a very nice, gender neutral ceremony that stressed love and responsibilities to each other.  It was too windy for Melissa to wear her mitre that she had made in China to the bemusement of the Chinese tailor who had to figure out how to make one to match her dress, of course!  At the end, the World of Warcrafters (Jennifer and Dan met on Warcraft online) all yelled "Blood and Thunder!"  to finish it all off.  A really nice, personal wedding done very well—I was so proud of Jennifer and all her hard work!

Next came the picture taking expedition. The pictures were to be taken at a very pretty park in town—so off we took in a caravan to an unspecified location in the park.  After much wandering and calling, we found the photographer and the bridge she wanted to use as a backdrop.  There was another wedding party there! I thought the brides were going to have to fight it out—the guys hoped so.  But we worked it out amicably and the picture taking marathon began. The Chinese would’ve been proud!  And no one takes photos like the Chinese.  There was more wind than I liked so I hope we all don’t have hair in our faces.  The families were first and then we could leave.  Jennifer was still smiling when we left.  We got back to the lodge and everyone was VERY anxiously waiting for dinner—it took quite a while for the bridge and groom to get there so they were VERY hungry by the time the dinner started.  The drinking had already started, of course—I’m not sure it had stopped from the night before.  There was much clinking of glasses which meant the new Mr. and Mrs. Ross had to stand up and kiss.  After a very good dinner during which Melissa and Travis started throwing buttons at unsuspecting groomsmen, the dancing started.  Tom did a very nice Daddy-Daughter dance with Jennifer (he was very nervous that he’d screw up but he did great) and then Dan did a Mother-Son dance with Penny.  Tom and I left about 9 and the partying went on all night it seems. Jennifer said they closed up the dance, then a bar (called The Bar, I believe) and then went to Denny’s.  Jennifer stayed in her dress the whole time—she said she was going to get full use of it—and it is a beautiful dress too!


The next morning we went to the hotel for another new tradition.  The lodge set aside a conference room, equipped it with white chairs, a table at the front for the bride and groom and the presents set up at the back. It was a present opening ceremony!  They had mostly gotten gift cards so it didn’t last too long.  We then adjourned until lunch.  At lunch we met the exhausted partiers.  Melissa came out to the trailer for awhile to visit and the rest crashed somewhere, I suspect.  We met some of the revelers for pizza at dinner and they looked somewhat refreshed.  We all agreed it had gone very well and then we left to get ready to leave the next day.  All in all a VERY good wedding and celebrations surrounding it. We met so many really nice folks and we are VERY happy to add Dan to our family and get to know his family.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


indiansue on

Pat - what a fantastic rundown on your daughter's wedding. I sure enjoyed reading about it. I really hope you post some photos of the wedding. I want to see what you wore, and Tom in his tux. Have you been able to talk Tom into writing his viewpoint of the wedding?


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: