Surfing, Shopping, and Ferry Rides

Trip Start Jul 09, 2013
Trip End Jul 28, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, July 21, 2013

We got to sleep in (a little) since brekkie was not until 8am. And today was the day for PANCAKES!!! Everyone was so excited!! We went back to the Gluten-Free place, and man were those pancakes delicious!

But the true excitement was yet to come because today was SURF DAY! After breakfast, we walked across the street to the beach where we met up with our surf instructors. Somewhere deep inside, I must have known something would happen because I opted to not to don the wetsuit and test out my surfing skills. I thought that it was because I wanted to be able to take everyone's picture (at least that was what I was telling everyone). And that was true. But I was also a bit wary of getting on the board.

But even that reason was not why I was glad to not have put on a wetsuit this day... You'll understand more in a bit...

So the group was divided into two - half was going to start the day boogie boarding while the other half began their surf lessons. Then midway through, they would switch. I was with the surf lessons group (and it's a good thing too). The instructors did a great job in explaining the ins and outs of surfing. They had the kids start practicing on land how to lie on the surfboard, paddle, and pop up.

The second time the group practiced their popping up is when the trouble began. One of my girls slipped off the board and dislocated her knee - right next to where I was standing. We called the lifeguard over who then called 000 (Australia's version of our 911). The paramedics arrived in about 10 minutes (of course it seemed like hours at the time!). After giving her some pain meds, they helped her straighten her knee and it popped back into place. We got her onto the lifeguard's jeep and around to where the ambulance was parked since they couldn't wheel the gurney onto the sand.

The hospital was surprisingly quick about getting her xray'd and discharged with a leg brace and crutches, so she and I took a cab back to the group just as they were finishing up lunch.

From the stories I heard, it seemed that everyone else had a great time. Some enjoyed surfing more than others, but those that did not take to surfing at least had fun boogie boarding.

After saying goodbye to our surf instructors, we headed on to Brisbane. We had just enough time to visit a shopping mall to give everyone a chance to buy Tim Tams for everyone at home from the local markets rather than having to pay the hiked up costs at the truck stops.

We barely made it to our ferry since a group of students mistook the meeting time to be 4:20 instead of 3:40. Never mind the fact that Beccah asked the students to repeat the time out loud before we got off the coach! It's a good thing the people at the ferry were willing to wait for us!

We were soon on our way to Spooky Island! Actually, the real name of the island is Moreton Island, but for the first Scooby Doo movie, it was known as Spooky Island. Beccah told us that little fact a couple of days before, so while we were shopping earlier, a small group of the students pooled money together and found a copy of the movie at Kmart to give Beccah as a little prezzie. She had been wanting it for her collection, but hadn't had the chance to get it...

Thankfully, the ferry ride to Spooky Island and the Tangalooma Resort was much more peaceful than the Great Barrier Reef. Of course, several students didn't want to take any chances, so they made sure to take a Dramamine or Bonine an hour before we boarded.

We arrived at the dock just in time for our Dolphin Feeding, so we put our things down, stripped down to our suits, and waited in line for our turn to feed the wild dolphins of Tangalooma! Because they were wild dolphins, the handlers said we were not allowed to pet the dolphins (which made many of us sad, me included), but we all understood it was for the dolphins' health and safety to have as little human contact as possible. We were given fish to feed them, we walked about hip deep into the water, and Silhouette (that's one of the dolphin's name) came right up to me and. I put the fish in the water and she came and ate it right out of my hand! It was so COOL!

After our dolphin feeding, we met with Henk who gave us a little orientation of the resort, walked us past the Spooky Island pool, and showed us to our building where our luggage was waiting for us. After putting our things inside our room, we made our way to dinner then called it a day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: