Let the camping begin!

Trip Start Dec 18, 2009
Trip End Sep 01, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Brazil  , State of Rio de Janeiro,
Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Armed with our new tent we caught a 3 hour bus from Rio bus station to Angra dos Reis. From there we caught our ferry over to Ilha Grande which took 1 1/2 hours. We arrived in the dark and found our campsite just beyond the pier so proceeded to set up our epic 3-man tent. As it turned out this wasnīt a 3-man tent at all, and would have been more suited to 1 man and his day bag...

We found a restaurant where we ate chicken, rice, chips, beans, salad and farofa for just 13 Rs, which was the cheapest we were likely to eat on this tourist island. After dinner we headed off to bed... Rory, Annie and 2 enormous backpacks, plus 1 day pack, and 1 bucket... what a sleep!! 

The following morning we were woken by the immense heat and discovered a beautiful hot day. We were camping next to 3 people, 2 Kiwis (Emily and Nigel) and 1 Welsh dude (Steve) who the couple in Rio had mentioned as being great fun and capable of creating a mean BBQ. They were heading round the island today on a boat to one of the many beautiful beaches on Ilha Grande so we all went together. The beach is called īLopes Mendesī, and supposed to be one of the most beautiful of the whole Brazilian coast. We had to take a little jungle trek in order to find it but it was definitely worth it. Once we were sat down we set about creating our own makeshift fishing rods using a lump of wood and fishing line. We swam in the sea which had enormous waves and Annie lost her sunglasses... the second pair lost to the Brazilian sea... we need to try and take these lessons on-board! We headed back through the jungle to the other side of the island for a spot of fishing from an old pier which was superb. Annie caught her first ever fish, but no one managed to catch anything worth eating. 

Back on our side of the island Rory and Steve decided to continue with the fishing while the girls headed back to camp. When the boys returned empty handed a few hours later we headed off to the 13Rs restaurant again. 

For a better sleep that night we hid our bags under some tarpaulin outside the tent which helped. Rory had to get up at the crack of dawn in torrential rain to move them inside though as they were getting soaked. The bottom of our tent felt like a water bed and the rain did not stop for the next 24 hours. Emily, Steve and Nigel headed off today and we stayed in hope that the rain would go away and we could discover some more of those beautiful beaches... no such luck. And a rainy day on Ilha Grande is a non-event... there is NOTHING to do. We did however buy some fresh fish from the fisherman at the port and had a good fish dinner... it would have tasted better on the BBQ :(

Next morning when we woke up to grey skies we decided to move on and grabbed a ferry out of Ilha Grande and onto Paraty.  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


muv on

What a fabulous island ... real picture postcard stuff. Such a shame the rains came in.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: