Last Days In Iceland

Trip Start May 28, 2010
Trip End Jun 27, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iceland  , South,
Monday, July 5, 2010

Hey guys, this is will be my final entry of this blog that I publish and send to everyone. I am however thinking about doing one final entry as sort of a reflection of the whole trip, which would be more for me. Anyways, moving on...

So after I got back to Skalholt from my independent travel days we only had 3 days left in the country. Which seemed like so little time then and in fact it did seem to speed by. At that point though I think I was ready to come home as well. But yea, I have pictures and will probably talk the most about 3 things that happened before I left.

The first of those things is climbing up a mountain that I could see from the dorm place where I was staying called 'The Guardian' in English and Vöršufell in Icelandic or at least I think it is. But we climbed up Vöršufell on St. John's Eve very close to midnight or 11 o'clock. And it was a nice hike of which I am proud to say I didn't get sore from. Actually I don't recall getting sore from any of the climbs I did on the trip. Anyways, I did manage to get to the top of it with a larger group than what came up the glacier. Dr. Novak told us we were at 1113 ft at 1 am, though sadly we were surrounded by a cloud so I couldn't see much while up at the top. I did however write a postcard to my parents which they have yet to receive while I was up there. Because of this my picture was taken a lot, as everyone found the fact that I was writing a post card on top of a mountain interesting. But yes, I didn't take any pictures on the climb up, but my camera was out the entire way down and I filled up my card. Afterward we went back to Skalholt and one of the 3 chefs who climbed up with us, came back and opened up the kitchen so we could have a snack. And then I walked back to the dorm and got online for a bit and then went to bed.

I feel like something else happened on the 25th besides our farewell dinner. Oh I think this may have been the day that I helped stain a fence they Skalholt had recently put up. It had something to do with a museum but I'm not sure what the whole story is there. Um, by yes, I helped stain a fence and we got almost all of it done. We were short stain for like 4 boards or so. And then that evening I along with Anne, another girl on the trip, created a thank you poster thing that we presented at dinner. Basically I put the thing together and came up with the idea for what to put on it and Anne drew and colored it. Picture posted. Um, and then dinner was really nice and everybody said stuff afterward about why this trip was important to them and what not. It was very emotional, and I know for a fact that several people cried. And oh! Skalholt gave us some little gifts which was really nice of them and we were expecting it at all.

Let's see, Saturday the 26th we visited Žingvellir National Park. This is where the Althingi met up for a great deal of time and it is also where the North American and Eurasian Plates meet and are pulling away from each other. So it was a super cool place to visit and there was also a waterfall and places were you could tell that lava had flowed. Pictures are posted of both. Also gave a really great view of the surrounding area and it was interesting to think about how new the rocks I was walking on were compared to other places I've been. That and the fact that the Earth was moving like underneath me. After walking around  Žingvellir for a while, we when to Hveragerši, which is a small town that has a rather neat flower festival every year apparently. Sadly we didn't get to walk around and I didn't get any pictures but it looked really awesome. They had all sorts of decorations on the side walks and what not. The reason we drove through it is because there were some boiling mud pots up on the side of the mountain on the other side of town. So we went to see them and it smelled like sulfur, which really wasn't all that surprising. One of them was apparently more impressive last year according to Drs. Novak and Grathwohl, but I was just fine with what I saw.  Um, that afternoon we hosted a party down at our dorm area for the staff people at Skalholt and we had some people come so that was really fun. Especially as they had done so much fun us, it was nice to do something for them. After the party and dinner, I started packing to come home, though it took several hours to do. Yay for space savers and nifty packing tips! ^^

Sunday was not only the day we left Iceland but also my 21st birthday. Not the best birthday I've ever had as I had to carry my heavy bags and go through airport security checks most of the day but the day got better as I got closer to home. The girls on the trip sang 'Happy Birthday' to me while we were sitting in the Boston airport  waiting to board our plane to Raleigh and Brittany gave me a chocolate muffin, which I still haven't eaten but will definitely do soon. Oh and someone pointed out to me that my day was technically 28 hours long. So I had a 28 hours 21st birthday, which ended on a good note as my parents and boyfriend were waiting for me in the airport and surprised me with the fact that my boy friend was coming to the beach with me and my parents. That and and the singing of Happy Birthday were probably the highlights of my day. So yea, that everything that happened. Hope everyone enjoyed reading my blog and sorry I didn't finish it on time like I wanted too.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Miaka__M on

Lava?? o.O'

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: