Weekend & Independent Travel Days with Regan

Trip Start May 28, 2010
Trip End Jun 27, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iceland  ,
Monday, June 21, 2010

Ello all,

So I am now actually back home now but I'd like to post these last two or three entries for myself, and because everyone else I think might be curious about what happened to me in my last week. So moving on....

The weekend before independent travel was basically spent working on final papers and presentations. I did mind on a thread from the Laxdaela Saga, that we read in class and related it to something we talked about in history class. If you are really that interested, I have before the presentation and paper still saved on my computer.

Monday morning however, I got up early to finish packing for Regan and I's independent travel to Reykjavik. We got dropped off at the Selfoss gas/bus station that morning and took at bus about an hour or so later. Once in Reykjavik, Regan, I and the other two groups that rode with us hiked up to the guesthouse in which Regan and I were staying so that everyone could drop off there stuff. After checking in, then going and eating lunch, Regan and I went and found a used book shop off of the main shopping street where we drooled over the piles of books stacked everywhere in the store. I spotted the first Harry Potter book in Icelandic, as well as two of the Sagas we had learned about in class and several other authors that I have never read but shelved in one of the two libraries I work at. Later we met up with another one of the groups so that they could get their stuff from our room and we took a nap after they left. After that Regan and I had dinner at a nice pizza place, people watched from our table, window shopped at some nearby stores and then got some ice cream. Mine was particularly fascinating to us both, as my peppermint syrup was lime green. Once finished we headed back to our room, read for awhile and then went to bed.

Tuesday morning after sleeping in a bit, we got breakfast at a nearby bakery and then went to the Reykjavik City Library,and I was extremely happy. It was big and they had a surprising number of books in English, including a huge manga/comic book section. After the library we headed off to the National Museum of Iceland. It was a very interesting building that didn't look like a museum, especially with the stain glass windows. But overall it was really neat to see artifacts that went along with stuff that we had talked about in class. Not to mention we got to learn a bit more about Iceland's more modern history because they had some exhibits on it. Regan and I also enjoyed playing around in the hands on room as you can see from the pictures I have posted. After the museum, we headed back to the room for a nap and then ventured out again to the Reykjavik City Zoo and Park. We had to take a bus to get there, or else it would have been a long walk so I sort of bugged Regan about making sure we really were getting on the right bus to the point where I think she wanted to hit me. ^^;; But what can I say, I'd rather be safe then sorry. So after our shortish bus ride we walked down to the zoo/park. And it really was a zoo/park. In addition to all the animal exhibits, there were playground areas too. My pictures of course show this. Though they were nit next to each other for obvious reasons. Next to the zoo/park were some botanical gardens, which Regan and I briefly ventured into as we were both tired and hungry. So instead we headed back towards the guesthouse and stopped at a noodle place for dinner. After dinner we headed back to the room as I wasn't feeling well, yet again and stayed in the room the rest of the night because of me not feeling well. And I wasn't to happy about sad fact, but there wasn't anything I could really do about it.

Wednesday morning I woke up feeling just fine though and after breakfast we met Drs. Novak and Grathwohl and dropped off our bag in the bus. Then we went shopping before meeting up with Kate Noel and Brittany and doing more shopping and then we all just kind of hung out in a cafe for several hours. After that we met up with the most of the rest of the group and got some ice cream at a shop owned by the daughter of the man taking care of Dr. Novak's sheep, which we sadly didn't get to see. After the ice cream we picked up the last three members of our group and headed back to Skalholt.

So that's really all that happened. I'll have at least one more entry talking about my last few days in Iceland and probably my 28 hour, 21st birthday as well. And this entry will probably go up tomorrow. So till then. ^_______________^
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Miaka__M on

Okay...that ice cream looks really good T.T And, you look so pretty with that brown cloak thing :D

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: