Day 1 in Iceland

Trip Start May 28, 2010
Trip End Jun 27, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iceland  , South,
Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ello all! ^^ I made it safely to Iceland this morning, we arrived at the airport around 7:15-ish. I was rather happy to get up and stretch my legs out after the 5 hour flight and 8 hour wait at Boston's Logan airport. Though I did have more leg room than I did on my ride up to Boston. Speaking of which after we got off the plane to go and make sure that everyone's luggage was on its way to Reykjavik, we were asked by a security guard if we were some sort of sports team. Various responses were given including saying that we were an undefeated football team. But in the end the group decided that we should claim that we are the Meredith Maulers, an all girls cage fighting team. Everyone is currently in the process of developing their fighting names, myself included though I haven't picked one yet.

Anyways, you can see in one of the pictures I upload what I had for breakfast. In case your wondering skyr is extremely delicious. It tastes like yogurt but has the texture of like mousse. I tried vanilla but I'm looking forward to trying other favors in the coming weeks. We didn't eat breakfast though until after we had exchanged money and gotten our luggage.

The next two pictures are of some art work outside the airport. The first one of the silver egg thing, was really huge and I've been debating whether or not it a seed or an egg. The second is the other end of the rainbow and it is absolutely beautiful. The next picture is of our faithful bus, that we shall be traveling in over the next month. After boarding the bus, we drove past downtown Reykjavik on our way to where I am presently in Skálholt. On the way, we saw plenty of lava fields, as well as the trolls that were turned to stone because they got caught in the sunlight.

After eating a wonderful lunch (cauliflower soup, salad and bread)  once we arrived in Skálholt at about 12 o'clock, we got settled in our rooms, which you can see from my pictures. We then took a walk to see the horses that are owned by a local and some hot springs. The horses were all very friendly and enjoyed several treats that people brought to give them. After visiting them for a while we continued on down the road to the hot springs. They were really warm, which was great since it was decently cold outside and it had been raining. I was able to step on some of the rocks and could feel the heat up through my shoes and socks. Dinner this evening was also very enjoyable. I feel like I'm eating really healthy foods which makes me incredibly happy. I'll try and post again soon.

Also note that I'll try and get on Skype tomorrow(Sunday) evening. I haven't the slightest idea what time at this point but when I do get on, I'll stay on for awhile. Till then. ^__________^
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Mom and Dad on

We loved the pictures, keep them coming. Hope we get to talk to you tomorrow. Love ya.

Faebella on

Glad to hear you made it there safely! Have fun!

Nana & Poppop on

Good job Julia, Keep up the good work when you have the time we both look for something every day. We are listening to Matt on Fm radiom on the PC. I can listen to the game while typing to you and Mom called and wanted to know what we were listening to. Keep us posted you are doing very good so far.

Miaka__M on

Hey! I love the pictures here! :D My favourite is the "Bus of Awesome" It made me laugh when I read the caption XD

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: