The journey back to Dakar

Trip Start Oct 08, 2011
Trip End Oct 16, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Senegal  ,
Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hi there!
There's only one road that allows you to enter/leave Dakar and of course on the end of the day it's completely filled with cars, trucks and motorcycles. On the road, we saw hundreds of people selling products (bags of fresh water, mobile cards, fruit, meat, cereals, car products, beauty products, and everything you can imagine!).

The time is passing by and François and the driver are starting to get nervous because, due to the heavy traffic, we might not get to the airport in time. The road has only one way, but we can see already two ways for each direction. There are already cars on the dirt (side lane and parking area)..

So, now, no one comes in the opposite direction. The driver steps the gas pedal and goes to the opposite lane (!!!!). As we see a truck coming by and no place to go to the correct lane... the driver goes to the opposite dirt lane (on the side) and keeps on going.

Now, a truck is parked and the traffic keeps on coming on the opposite direction. There's no more place to go!!! What to do now? Ok, easy... we go to the dirt to make a U-turn. People that are wandering there and others that are waiting for the bus are literally forced to move away from OUR bus... so the u-turn is made, we crossed the road and we are back on our lane again. Uff... what an adventure! Hooray for the driver and François!

Close there's a roundabout that allows us to go to another road, on the interior. There are holes everywhere and we are bouncing back and forth inside the bus for about 10 to 15 minutes, just to keep ahead and away of the traffic jam. Another roundabout and we are back to the main road. There's no more traffic now and we are heading on a good speed to the airport.

It's already 22h30 (local time) and finally we arrived at the Dakar International Airport. It's was a very long journey from Saly to Dakar. François lead us to the baggage check-in and then, after making sure that everyone is set to go, said goodbye and went out. 

Again, general confusion inside. Lots and lots of people, and long line to customs police check. We spent around 40 hour walking there, until we finally passed the airport police. There aren't many stores in the airport, and the airport is not very big.

Luckily, we had a 20 minutes wait before boarding the plane.

Our flight is scheduled to depart at 00h05 (local time) and it was on time. So, at the designated time, we set flight to Madrid, our next destination.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: