Our last full day, boo hoo...

Trip Start Jul 23, 2010
Trip End Aug 20, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bermuda Motor Inn

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A bit sad as it's our last full day today, and more driving down towards Sydney. From the hotel we visited the Port Macquarie Koala Hospital, which was only just up the road. The hospital is doing great work, and we adopted a koala named "Settlement Point Bea", who was brain damaged after falling from her mother’s back onto rocks by a river. She pretty much lives a normal life, but will never be released back into the wild. Next to the hospital was Roto House, an old property originally owned by John Flynn, which we quickly looked through before hitting the road again. After driving for about an hour and a half we pulled off the Pacific Highway to find somewhere to have our picnic lunch. We chose Crowdy Head which turned out to be over ten kilometres down a very lumpy unsealed road. While driving down this road Elaine spotted a white peacock in the garden of one of the isolated properties, so I stopped to get a photo. Elaine said not to as the owner might shoot at us or something. Well he did come over to me, but instead of shooting me, he invited us in to get a closer look at his peacocks, what a nice guy. He gave us directions to the old fishing town further down the road, which we checked out, and had our picnic there... in the car though, as it was extremely windy. After the picnic we drove up the hill to the old Crowdy Head Lighthouse there, we then carried on around the coast road and soon came upon Harrington Head, another lovely little place with a small enclosed harbour. We got up close and personal with a couple of the local pelicans here, and got some great photos of them. We soon had to get back on the Pacific Highway and at around six o’clock we reached our target of Gosford, and found a nice little hotel, called the Bermuda Motor Inn, to spend our last night in. We put the luggage in the room and went straight out to find somewhere to have dinner, and found the TrackSide Restaurant, a race themed establishment that eagle eyed Elaine had spotted on the way into town. We all really enjoyed our “last supper”, so this was a great finale to our Australian Adventure, and surrounded by racing memorabilia too, it doesn't get much better than that. We really don’t want to leave this place tomorrow; we’ve all had the best time touring around this wonderful country, and have met some lovely people, who have all helped make our holiday something very special.
Footnote: Sadly, Settlement Point Bea died a couple of months after we returned to the UK, and we were able to transfer our adoption to another koala. We chose Oxley Kaylee, who had to have her left rear leg amputated after many problems with it. Doesn't seem to hinder her much though, as she seemed to get around just as easily as the other koalas we saw on the move.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


shaun masterson on

i love the pelican photos,and am glad youve had such a lovely time.
what are youre flight and arrival times?
see you soon have a very safe trip

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: