Chillin' in Port Douglas...

Trip Start Jul 23, 2010
Trip End Aug 20, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We're all taking it a bit easy today, so as to recharge our batteries for the next two days hectic adventures. So after another leisurely breakfast we took the short walk from the apartment to Four Mile Beach, this was one very long stretch of sand... actually it was probably about four miles thinking about it...!!! Unfortunately the weather was still a bit overcast but it was very warm and quite humid.
We turned left towards the town once we arrived at the beach and slowly made our way up towards the headland. While walking along I noticed a few areas on the beach with loads of little balls of sand around a small hole, but couldn't see the reason for these being there. I waited by one of them and was soon rewarded with the sight of a little crab quickly emerging from the hole, dropping a ball of sand, and in a flash disappearing back into the hole... amazing. I later found out that these were called Sand Bubbler Crabs. At the headland we found a few rock pools that had lots of stuff in that we don’t have back at home! Among other things, there were Mud Skippers, Blue Clawed Crabs, Hermit Crabs (which we do have) & hundreds of tiny little tetra like tropical fish.
From here we carried on into the main centre of Port Douglas, where the girls enjoyed a bit of retail therapy. We passed a very unusually decorated pub along the main road, called the Ironbar. In what way was it unusual I hear you say, well... the whole of the outside of the building was lined with corrugated sheets of iron, which off course had rusted over time... most strange...!!! When we got down to the end of the shops we came across a very nice looking place to have some lunch. The Old Court House Hotel/Bar/Restaurant was the establishment in question, and as it turned out it was a wise decision to stop here. We sat outside and soon found out that we were competing with a cheeky Magpie Lark to hang on to our dinners. There was no way he was going to get anywhere near my huge rack of ribs, though he did manage to steal some left over bits from a plate at the table next to ours. Again the food was plentiful and very tasty. After that we strolled over to the quaint little Port Douglas church, St. Mary’s by the Sea, which is situated right on the beach, hence the name I guess! The time was now starting to get on so we began making our way back to the apartment after a short stop off at the marina to check out exactly where we had to pick up the boat for our trip out to the Great Barrier Reef in the morning. Once back the girls relaxed by the pool for an hour or so, while I updated the journal and wrote this blog!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: