Mekong Delta

Trip Start Mar 17, 2008
Trip End Mar 29, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Thursday, March 27, 2008

Woke up at 5am and started getting ready for the new day..all batteries were now charged are ready to get alot of use for our Mekong Delta tour. After breakfast we met up with our guide for the day about 8:20am. We hopped in the car and fought traffic for the next hour just to get out of the city. Once that chore was done we had about another hour to hour and a half to go before we arrived at our boat.

As we headed south we started to see more bicycles than motorbikes with a slower lifestyle. The area was very picturesque and much greener that that of Saigon. As a whole I much prefer the countryside over the city any day..especially so of Asia. We arrived about 10:40 on our private boat and headed out to the Delta and to check out the water market. We took many photos of ladies selling fruit, fish and many other goods. It would have been much busier here if we had been here earlier in the day. It was still very much worth it. The river was full of large pond plants, which also keeps the erosion down along the shoreline. It was brown in color, but seemed to fit the area well...and not in a bad way. The weather was cloudy which kept the temperature down to about 85...much better than 95.

Our first stop took us to a rice candy factory where one family ran the business..We were able to see different facets of process and have samples of course...all very tasty! About a half hour later we made another stop at a small island to see a local dance and song presentation. They provided us with some fresh fruit and tea and we watched the show.

Back on the boat we made our way through several small canals, where we saw a water snake, birds and many local villagers doing their daily tasks. Now time for lunch and to try a local delicacy..Elephant Ear Fish..It was brought out along with Tiger Prawns, rice,soup, noodles, some other type of fish, pineapple and the most beautiful Cucumbers you've ever seen. The food just seemed to keep coming..All was very delicious and we left full.

We slowly meandered our way back to the dock so head back to Saigon. This trip would take 3 hours. We did see some neat things along the way, like numerous Geese and chickens riding on a motorcycle along with one carrying what looked like a clothes dryer on the back. I guess it's cheaper than renting a truck right!

We were back at our hotel about 5:15, just time enough to walk around the neighborhood before dinner. It made it a little hard walking down the sidewalk when you had motorcycles on it too..Rush hour is a crazy time here. For dinner I was able to pick out the next seafood victims..I picked out a crab for Carol and a dozen large Tiger Prawns for myself and we were going to have them cooked in Chili...(Singapore Style)...We both enjoyed our meal but Singapore does do chili better...Hopefully I can locate some Scorpion tomorrow..The exotic food has been hard to find..I think we are just in the wrong area of the city
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: