Trip Start Mar 17, 2008
Trip End Mar 29, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Grand Plaza Parkroyal

Flag of Singapore  ,
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Finally touched down in Singapore. We checked in at the Singapore Stopover desk in the airport for our goodies and we were on the way to the hotel. My first impressions of Singapore were positive. It was a very clean modern city which I was eager to explore. The hotel was very nice and had a great A/C going when we walked in. Felt was a little humid outside and looked like possible rain showers soon. We settled into our room and headed for a walk of the area surrounding our hotel. We walked to the Raffles Hotel where the founder of Singapore built this hotel and also invented the Singapore Sling. The Long Bar didn't open for another hour and a half so we grabbed some bottled water nearby and killed time at the hotel unpacking our suitcases.

We arrived at the Long Bar when it opened and did the Singapore Sling "tourist thing" $21 Singapore or $15 USD is what the damage was per drink. On top of this, neither one of us liked it too well. Much too sweet...With the tourist thing done it was time to head where the locals have lunch at the Maxwell Hawkers food court and partake ourseleves on Chicken Rice. I enjoyed this cheap lunch very much and felt more in tune with the locals. It was us and about 300 others eating lunch on various tables from various food hawkers. After lunch we walked around Chinatown a bit and started feeling the affects of the 18 1/2 plane ride. It was time to head back to the hotel and rest up till the Night Safari later that evening.

Woke up refreshed and ready for the safari, it's the only "zoo" in the world geared towards nocturnal animals. I of course had a coupon for this, which was good since it was a little expensive if you paid full price. The trip out there took almost an hour with the rush hour trafiic. We gathered our tickets and went to the que for the tram which took us slowly around the park. All animals where in site from the tram except the Tigers of course..To get a closer look at them we would have to walk the trails..Oh did I mention it was pretty much pitch black!

When we were done walking the trails to get a closer look at the animals, we had a drink and waited for the bus back into town. By the time we arrived at the hotel is was 11:30 and too late to find a restaurant so we went to the hotel bar and had some bar food, drinks and watched the live band they had playing 70's type hits.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: